motor will not start. your thoughts?? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

motor will not start. your thoughts??

Have freshly built 327 that was running great until today. I was backing it out of the garage and it was running fine, then it just cut off. It cranks but wont even rumble or try to start. I have fuel when I pump the carb, I pulled a couple plugs to see if I had flooded them and they are dry as a bone. I even poured a bit of gas right in the carb and it still wont even rumble a bit. It just cranks and cranks. Even after I poured gas in the carb and pulled the plugs they didn't have fuel on them either. Have a Mallory unilite ignition that's all brand new. All the connections seem good. One odd thing, after I crank it when I turn the key off the motor kind of chugs slightly like when the timing is off badly. Don't have anyone here to crank it while I look for spark. I guess that's the next thing to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 08:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: motor will not start. your thoughts??

Have had unilite with intermittent problem with the module. Thats where I would look, my Nova would start after a 1/2 hour or so. I still have a bald spot from scratchin findin that one boy.

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Just put a new module in it. Ug.. this is frustrating. just spent 12k $$ on tons of mechanical restoration on this car and it wont start. sigh...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Yeah.. Got no spark... Crap.. I just had a bad module in that distributor replaced. Wonder if there is something wrong with the distrib itself? Motor was running sweet..
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 08:53 AM
Tech Team
Mathew

Have you tried adjusting the timing? Plug wires in the right order? Good grounds? A lot can go wrong with a fresh rebuild. Just takes one thing being just off to make it run bad. If its not fuel, an it's not spark, then you need to start checking timing and making sure everything is installed correctly. It's what I would do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 09:13 AM
Tech Team
Mathew

Well, 86 what I just said. Coil? Burnt wire somewhere?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

I know a couple guys that have unilite's sitting on a shelf due to problems with modules going out.
Found this video maybe it will help....

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 04:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Holmes View Post
Have freshly built 327 that was running great until today. I was backing it out of the garage and it was running fine, then it just cut off. It cranks but wont even rumble or try to start. I have fuel when I pump the carb, I pulled a couple plugs to see if I had flooded them and they are dry as a bone. I even poured a bit of gas right in the carb and it still wont even rumble a bit. It just cranks and cranks. Even after I poured gas in the carb and pulled the plugs they didn't have fuel on them either. Have a Mallory unilite ignition that's all brand new. All the connections seem good. One odd thing, after I crank it when I turn the key off the motor kind of chugs slightly like when the timing is off badly. Don't have anyone here to crank it while I look for spark. I guess that's the next thing to check.
Test the ignition by putting a wire from the battery to the coil then crank it and if it starts go to Advance Auto and get a new ignition switch. If not, change the module as suggested. BTW..I have the Unilite system and had to change one module in 14 years. My fault..I charged the battery with the unit plugged in and caught a spike....blowing the module.

Kev
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Ugh, get a stock points distributor. Make your life simple.

alan
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Thanks for all the input. I have everything wired right and have the ballast resistor in place as well. I see where Mallory sells a surge protector that plugs in directly between the coil and the dist. I went ahead and ordered a new module and the surge protector. Was about 135 bucks. If this happens again I will go to a different type of distributor. Its a shame as the unilites are not cheap.
I have been looking at different distributors all day. Not sure which is the best for the $$. Don't have room for a big HEI and have a brand new set of Wires that go with the female socket dist cap like the Unilite uses. Need to do a bit more research I guess..
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

If you decide to dump the Unilite, take a look at the Pertronix Ignitor III module, fits in a stock distributor and will use the plug wires you already have.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 13, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Might sound crazy but decades ago my Camaro would not start when the starter was turning with the ignition key but would start right up if you jumped the starter. Turned out to be the ignition switch was not supplying power to the coil when turning over the engine but supplied power when the switch was in the on position. You said it chugged when you let off the engine turning and that is what mine was doing. Might sound crazy but worth a look anyway.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 13, 10:16 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Check that you have 12volts to the distributor?? Where is the 12v power coming from???

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=3

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373

Last edited by DT; Aug 25th, 13 at 10:26 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 13, 10:47 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Here is one more wire diagram link for ya. Did you use a ignition ballast resistor or loom resistance wire??? Failure to use either of these will destroy module.

http://prestoliteperformance.com/med...1214M_0000.pdf

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 13, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Quote:
Check that you have 12volts to the distributor?? Where is the 12v power coming from???
I have 12 volts to the ballast resistor which drops the voltage to the coil down to 6 to 7 volts. The red wire that goes to the distributor shares the primary wire connection to the resistor which has 12 volts on it so yes the coil is getting 12 volts from this point. When I block the LED in the Mallory module the voltage does not change & seems to be stuck at 1.3 volts which according to the Mallory instructions indicated the module is bad. Like I said I do not have the inline surge protector they offer but I don't have one on my Vette and the Unilite works fine on that car. BUT I am going to add the inline surge protector when I install the new module. I really think if Mallory knows you should have a surge protector then they should include the damm thing with the distributor.
I see HEI distributors that use the old style female dist cap and an external coil on EBAY for about 100 bucks. Just the replacement module for the unilte costs 95 dollars. I also have a Accel points type distributor I could convert to the Pertronics electronic if I wanted to I guess. If the Unilite fails again it will come out of the car as I know 100% that it is wired properly and was from the start. I bought the unilite used and it had a bad module in it when I got it so someone else had trouble with this distributor in the past as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode