69 gas tank filler neck and refueling problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Ken

69 gas tank filler neck and refueling problems

I've searched the forums and this seems to be a common issue, but haven't found a good fix.

I believe the filler neck on my 69 is to high. It is a new OER tank, and I wonder if anyone has dimensions or photos of their installation. It is very difficult to get the nozzle into the filler neck. I have to hold it in place because no matter what angle I try the nozzle tube only goes into the filler neck 2 or 3 inches.

The other issue I am having is actually getting fuel to dispense. I visited a Sunoco station, (tank near empty) and even after trying 2 different pumps could not get any fuel to pump.
The nozzle clicked off immediately even if I tried to fill slowly.

I've seen some posts suggest that different gas stations use different nozzles, and I guess I can drive around to see if one brand works better than others, but this doesn't seem to be a very good approach.

I hope I'm not re-hashing an old issue, but does anyone have a suggestion.
I hope I don't have to resort to filling the tank via a rubber hose, funnel and gas cans.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 01:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: 69 gas tank filler neck and refueling problems

1) I heard of folks bending the filler neck down(lower) by inserting something made out of hard wood (baseball bat?).

2) With some of the after market tanks, such as mine, the filler tube extends too far into the tank and the new style pumps will not fill to more than 1/2 to 3/4 tank.
So if you're going to the gas station with 1/2 tank or more, it may not pump anything.
I have heard that PUI makes a tank that doesn't have this problem.

Good luck.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 02:37 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Pre unleaded fuel pump nozzles were less curved then today's environmental off gas vapor collecting ones are. There are several solutions that have been posted here that run the course of modifications to the filler neck to changing the filler neck location to inside the trunk.

I use a simple length of vinyl tubing that fits the filler neck. Stick the nozzle in and pump. Add a frat funnel to the end and it is perfect for filling with a Jerry Can. Both available under 5 bucks at any large box store. Or confiscate your teenagers frat beer funnel for free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	45241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002a.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	45249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	45257  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

X2 on the nozzles being curved. Keep in mind all the new cars have a small 1" flap and diesel is wide open like these old cars.

I wanted to add that our car has the original tank I have to hold the nozzle BUT I don't have any trouble getting a full tank. Do you have trouble filling gas cans out there in OH too? There is no restriction in the filler neck, or at least I don't think there should be.

You may have to hold the fuel nozzle and aim in in the neck like you would a fuel can.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon

Last edited by 69L48Z27; Sep 14th, 13 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added comment
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 06:20 PM
John

Garage

Drop the tank and add the 1/2" hard rubber isolators between the top pf the tak and the truck pan.

Makes a world of difference to drop the filler neck 1/2"

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Ken

Thanks all, I appreciate your suggestions. I'll probably add the spacers under the tank.
I'm just not crazy about carrying around a funnel and tube, although that might be an option I try short term.

I was able to get the nozzle in the filler tube but could not pump any gas at all, the nozzle immediately clicked off. Even holding the nozzle so it was only in the filler neck by an inch or so resulted in the same thing. Maybe there is something about the nozzles used at my local Sunoco station.
Just completed getting the car back together after sitting in my garage since 1970 and I didn't expect a problem like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 09:02 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

LOL I only use the funnel at home with Jerry-Cans The tube rides in the trunk no problems. I think it is 18 inches long but all you need is enough to fit tight in the neck and long enough to insert the nozzle. If you are buying it you can cut any length you want. Mine was recycled from a frat house raid.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 09:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Well for anyone buying a tank in the FUTURE (I know, doesn't help the op) you can avoid this by buying a Spectra brand tank. I have seen several posts about other aftermarket tanks for 69's that have the neck extending down into the tank, making it virtually impossible to fill at the pump. Upon receiving my Spectra tank, I compared it side by side to my original. Could not find any difference EXCEPT for the date code, which isn't visible once installed. I still hold the nozzle it when filling. It does stay by itself, but it is precarious enough, I hold it just to be sure.

The only way to fix the neck issue on an existing tank would be to pull it, have the neck removed, cut down, and reinstalled. Would probably exceed the cost of buying a new tank, which is $95.79 at Rock Auto.

Some folks still don't realize that OER (or "officially licensed GM reproduction part") absolutely does not mean it is a MATCH to the original equipment part, nor does it guarantee any level of quality control. It only means they cut a deal with GM to call it OER or "officially licensed".

Lynn
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 09:40 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I just installed a OER Stainless tank and it is an exact copy of my original 69 GM steel tank inside and out. Don't know about the OER Steel tanks but expect the same process is used for both Steel and Stainless tanks from them.

I think the tanks with the deeper neck issue are made in Canada and sold under a few names.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 03:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Well for anyone buying a tank in the FUTURE (I know, doesn't help the op) you can avoid this by buying a Spectra brand tank...
Good to know, as I'll be buying a new tank.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 13, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Ken

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

So today I bought a 5 Gal gas can, funnel, and several different sizes of tubing.

I was expecting problems at the pump, but I went to a Circle K (Marathon Gas)
and while a tight fit, the nozzle did go into the filler tube and pumped fuel.

I filled the tank very slowly and it "clicked" off at just over 10 gal.
I then very slowly tried to put more fuel in and at 12 gal, fuel over filled and spilled out of the tank.

Good thing my local station had paper towels to clean up the mess.

So now I'm wondering if my filling problem is related to the location and nozzle used by the gas station.

I'm also questioning the accuracy of my gas gauge. Did the spill result because I already had 4-5 gal in the tank (gas gauge showed empty)

After filling, my gas gauge shows about 1/4 inch past the full mark.

Maybe this is normal, FYI, new Gas Tank, new Tank Sensor.

I'm going to try a few more stations

Just a suggestion, but it would be good to know what stations work by state, and what ones are known not to work.

Consider a new Forum category.

Never thought filling my tank would become a 7 day study ordeal

Ken
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 13, 06:51 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Ken,
Glad you found a solution that works for you. Sorry I should have posted the diameter of my frat funnel hose. It is 1 and 1/4 and the interior is one inch. It fits snug in the filler neck. The hose is the kind of clear vinyl that has mesh embedded. The length is 26 inches long which is long enough to insert and not loose, and when the funnel is connected, long enough to hold the funnel up to get a good level sink base to pour into.

The bad tanks from the North have the neck terminate deep inside the tank and I think folks have posted they are about 15 gallons max. While the OEM tank is rated at 18.5 gallons capacity.

That said the sender float arm in the empty position is hovering a few inches above the bottom of the tank, where a few gallon of fuel still live. The only way to rally know capacity of your tank is to empty the tank as far as you can with a siphon, then drop it and pour the rest out. Then reinstall and fill with three full 5 gallon Jerry-cans and one that is filled with 3.5 gallons. If you can get it all in you have a proper tank. There should be a little room at the base of the filler neck for expansion.
It is possible you have 5 gallons left when your gauge says empty. I think I have high four when the needle points to empty and I bone the tank empty and stall with about two gallons left in the tank but the fuel level is below the pickup or I parked at the wrong angle for the pick up to reach the puddle left.

If you have 69 dash right hand pod mounted fuel gauge you can reposition the needle to reset the milestones of full and empty. Console and center dash units you have to change the resistor values to correct the gauge, but in theory you had over filled your tank, fuel level should be an inch or so below the base of the filler neck to be Full.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode