Loss of power - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 14, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Loss of power

Ok guys, need some more help. I addressed the water pump noise by replacing the water pump. To diagnose the H20 pump I took off all of the belts and started the engine. After replacing the pump, I put all of the accessories back on and started the engine. The car was idling very fast so I checked timing which showed it was advanced at 30* initial timing (engine is a 408 sbc, solid roller cam, rpm air gap, Dart pro 1 heads, Petronix distribuor, MSD Ignition). Before I disassembled the front end of the engine my car was timed at 13* initial timing. After retiming back to around 10-11* my car has lack of power. Before I could break the wheels free in 2nd gear but now I can't even get them to spin. The car revs up in 1st gear goin down the road but it's not gaining much speed (like before). I checked the timing tab to make sure it wasn't loose and it is tight. Not sure what else to check. Need some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 01:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Re: Loss of power

First question is did you do anything with the distributor to explain the timing change? I'd be sure to look for a vacumm hose that became disconnected causing the idle speed change vs something interferring with the throttle linkage.

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even go near the back of the engine. I disassembled the accessories and reinstalled. The ingition system is MSD box, coil and a petronix distributor. No vacum lines anywhere. I just don't understand how the engine was timed at 13* and then after disassembly and reassembly of the accessores it jumped to 30*. When I turned the engine over when the accessories were off is it possible the dampner became loose (highly doubt it)?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

One thing I did fail to mention, after the intial startup the car was idling around 1200 rpms. It has a manual tranny and on the initial setup it was at 600 rpms at 13* advance. I do remember starting up the car and it was revving high and I did check the timing at that point showing 30*. So one mistake was that the car wasn't even warmed up completely. Is it possible the hi idle cam got stuck and I was getting a false reading on the timing thinking that was the issue when it was the hi idle cam that was the problem?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Are you checking the timing with the vacuum can connected? If you are then that's why it's reading high at idle.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

The only two vacuum lines I have is one going from PCV on valve cover to back of carb and the second one going from back of carb to vacuum canister which then feeds the brake booster.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 14, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Well, after checking out the carb and making sure the butterflies open and close properly, no high idle cam as it doesn't have a choke, checked for vacum leaks everywhere using carb spray and the propane method, I went ahead and moved the dizzy back to it's original setting (had it marked for 13* initial advance). I adjusted the idle to around 650 rpm and the car idles and runs great. I took it out for a test ride and eased into it through the rpm range. The car ran like it always has. Plenty of power and no pinging or detonation. Here's the thing now, when i hit it with the light it's now showing 52* initial. I don't get it.

One thing I did remember as I was putting the accessories back together is I did ground out the alternator against my steel braided heater hose. Is it possible I may have shorted something in he MSD box to give me this high reading????? I'm completely baffled.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 14, 06:34 AM
John

Garage

If you are using a dial back light they don't always work with MSD boxes.

Use a simple basic light on MSD equipped motors.

I have a couple and Wes has one if you need one to use.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 14, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
If you are using a dial back light they don't always work with MSD boxes.

Use a simple basic light on MSD equipped motors.

I have a couple and Wes has one if you need one to use.
Hey John, no dial back light. I have an Innova digital timing light. I wouldn't mind trying to use another just to rule out a bad timing light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode