Higher than normal oil pressure - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 14, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Higher than normal oil pressure

Have an issue I'm hoping y'all can help with. I have a 406 in my 69. I have the 4 gauge Autometer pod setup in the console. Earlier this year, the oil pressure, when the motor/oil was up to temp, was running in the 30's at idle (750). Then it one day it started running around 50. Since then I have done the following:

1. Changed the oil filter
2. Changed the oil pressure sending unit
3. Changed the gauge
4. Ran meter from block to sending unit and it was 0 ohms.
5. Changed the oil and used a videoscope to make sure the pickup was not blocked and at the right depth.
6. Checked the ground on the pod to make sure it was solid.

I run Rotella 15/40 oil, AC Delco 1218 oil filter. The oil filter bypass is blocked. When I rev it up to 4000 or better, gauge goes to around 75 psi. I am running a PCV setup with a breather cap on the passenger side. The engine was rebuilt a couple of years ago and has about 4000 miles on it. Put on new Melling standard oil pump.

Looking for some suggestions from the folks that may know what is causing this. I'm all out of ideas.

Thanks,

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 14, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: Higher than normal oil pressure

Did you rebuild the engine or was it done for you? You could potentially have a blockage somewhere, although it may just be that the weight of oil you are running is causing the higher pressures. On your next oil change run some 10w-40 in it and see if the pressures drop a little bit. Too much pressure can be a very bad thing. Check out this little write up, and it may give you some insight into your situation. I am willing to bet that just changing to an oil that is a little thinner will solve your problem.

http://lubricants.s5.com/oil_pressure.htm

Also, you may have it this way already but pcv goes on drivers side head, breather on passenger. Wording had me confused so i just thought i would throw that out there.

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 14, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I did have someone else do it but I helped. It ran for over 2000 miles or more before it started acting up. I thought it might be something electrical but don't know how to measure what is between the sending unit and the gauge.

I could try a different oil but I just need one with the zinc levels good enough since I'm running a hydraulic cam.

Thanks for the info and for replying.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 14, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

my engine was built
when I start it, it shows 80 psi with 15-50 joe gibs hotrod oil. when it warms it is around 65-70 depending on rpm
I believe it is 10 psi oil pressure for 100 hp. I may be wrong. if I am I am sure I will be corrected
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 14, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I'm running with a Melling 55A high pressure oil pump and with Shell Rotella 15w-40 at 40 mph my oil pressure is 60psi. When I start up the car and start to drive the gauge is at 80 psi. If the psi bothers you then go to a 10w-30 oil. The 69 Z/28 bench test oil pressure at 1500 rpm is 30-45 psi. They didn't specify the viscocity.

Page 96 https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...let-Camaro.pdf

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 14, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

As long as it's not going to hurt anything, I'm good. I would still like to know why the pressure went up though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 14, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Well, after changing the oil filter and gauge, everything is running back to normal. I am idling around 35 psi at 750 rpm. One fewer problem, although something else will probably pop up.

Rick
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 14, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Too much oil pressure can wipe out the babbit layer - bad news.
Run a lighter weight oil, as suggested, and I did in my '68, 10W30.
As oil gets dirtier, the thicker it becomes.

When I had my '68, I had journal clearance at 0.002", a high volume pump, and ran at the most 60 PSIG at 6K rpm, 15 PSIG at hot idle. No knocks here.

Also, a mechanical gauge works very well.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode