Electrical 1990 - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 15, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Michael

Electrical 1990

I have a 1990 Camero with a 5.7 V8 that is having electrical problems. I was driving and the engine just died. When trying to restart, it just clicks like the battery is dead. When I attempted to replace the battery, the negative connection to the battery arcs. My knowledge of cars is mainly remove and replace, any assistance in a possible diagnosis would be extremely helpful.

Michael in Vegas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 15, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage
Re: Electrical 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1976 View Post
I have a 1990 Camero with a 5.7 V8 that is having electrical problems. I was driving and the engine just died. When trying to restart, it just clicks like the battery is dead. When I attempted to replace the battery, the negative connection to the battery arcs. My knowledge of cars is mainly remove and replace, any assistance in a possible diagnosis would be extremely helpful.

Michael in Vegas.
Mike...First thing I would do is to pull the alternator and have it checked at an Auto Zone, NAPA, or auto parts place. The diodes in the IR may be smoked...just a thought. Beyond that, there is a definite short in the electrical system which could take a while to trace. Good luck!

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 15, 06:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

Re: Electrical 1990

Not likely to be of much help chasing a short as I don't know the 1990 electrical system at all. Agree with the alternator as a potential suspect though. Unless your battery is at full volts and still won't start; then might want to think about the starter. That clicking is the solenoid - if nothing else is happening either you don't have enough voltage to spin over (more likely) or your starter has gone bad. Hopefully someone who knows that model can chime in with more specific recommendations! Good luck - electrical faults are always simple after the fact but can be a real bear to figure out in the moment.

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode