Dizzy help please - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Dizzy help please

Finally got far enough along on my '67 to fire up the 350 for the first time since purchase. Seemed great but just a little off. Discovered that I was not getting any fire out of just one distributor post (the one feeding cylinder 4). It is an HEI and I replaced the dist. cap, rotor, coil, and pick-up trying to chase this problem. Can anyone give me thoughts or advice on what would cause just one plug not to fire???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 03:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
Re: Dizzy help please

Did you check for juice at the cap post? Maybe the #4 plug wire is broken inside somewhere? Did you try switching your wires?

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Sorry for leaving that info off my original list. Not only are the wires new but I also traded out for a known good one and still no luck. Also did test for spark at the post and nothing from that one.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 04:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darrell

Sounds to me you got lucky and bought a defective cap ... You could check for continuity.

My build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 07:48 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

I went through a similar situation once. The plug would actually fire when outside the hole and held against a ground point but wouldn't fire under combustion pressure. Replaced the plug and problem solved.

Jim's '69
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 16, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Thanks to all for looking and responding. I will follow up on suggestions but seems to me that having the exact same problem (no spark on distributor post going to #4 cylinder) showing up with both the dizzy that was on the engine when I bought it and also once the new parts described in the original post were installed seems remote. As to the plug, since no fire is coming to the post or through the wire then the plug wouldn't seem to be in play yet. I did run across a comment in other searches I am doing that a distributor "out of phase" could result in the rotor trying to generate spark at some precise point between posts that would result in the spark going nowhere including causing even a cross fire situation but I do not know how to detect or repair such a condition. Since the other 7 cylinders are performing as expected I know this situation is puzzling but appreciate any and all input.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 16, 08:42 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I'm curious to know what method you're using for checking for spark at the post.

Did you try swapping the #4 plug with one of the other cylinders?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 16, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

First try was traditional removal of wire at plug and grounding wire to engine with a screw driver. Second method was as you asked by moving wire from a working post and put it on #4 post. No spark with either method.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 16, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Grounding the wire will not check for spark, that's a dead short. You have to have a gap. To test like that you need a known good spark plug connected to the wire, then ground the body of the spark plug and look for spark across the gap. Or stick your finger in the end of the boot but have a few drinks first.

Have you swapped the #4 plug with a known good plug?

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 16, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Have you tried to turn over the engine with the cap off to see if the distributor is not defective? Maybe it is causing the rotor to not come close enough to post 4 and causing the spark to ground to the distributor? Idk just guessing. Maybe swap out the distributor just to check.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 16, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Hmm, we may be getting on to some things here. Have not swapped or replaced plug but have swapped wires between firing cylinders and #4. No combo of switching things around has resulted in 4 post putting out spark. I have bumped the engine with the cap off and the rotor turns but can't tell anything beyond that. The shock joke (no joke when it actually happens), combined with the spark grounding to the distributor comment reminded me that I thought I received a mild shock once or twice while turning the ignition switch. Thought it was unrelated as I have numerous wires routed through and across the firewall as I wanted to be sure the motor was squared away before moving further with the build. Summit has an HEI distributor (part SUM 850001R) for $90 so I think I might go ahead and order that since it's not much to lose compared with the overall costs of bringing these babies back to life.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 16, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If the spark plug core is broken internally, you will not get anything. It won't even light up a timing light if connected to the wire. It will be just like letting the plug wire hang in free air disconnected from the plug. It takes less than what you might think to break one, last one I had drop onto the crossmember and then fall eight inches to the floor I just threw away without even checking it.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode