POP-up ads??? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

POP-up ads???

Lately when I go onto the site, I get a pop up (see below). Anyone else getting this? Itís really becoming annoying.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TC advertising.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	219425  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: POP-up ads???

Yeah, twice so far in about 30 min on site...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Yep. And I have an ad blocker....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

yes I get the same thing plus this "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 03:16 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

These Google ad service based ads have been around for over a year now. A normal pop-up blocker wont see them because they are being created on the fly using script in your browser, not as code in the page the popup blocker can detect. The content is directly related to what Google knows about your browsing history. You can open your Google account and switch off as much as they let you, and then connect to ad choice and deselect all their merchants. Both need to be done often but won't get rrid of all the ads they push to you. To do that you need an armory of high caliber weapons. My choice of weapon is using either Opera, or FireFox. Opera has built in ad blocking, and privacy protection denying data mining. FireFox needs the add-on's of NoScript and AdBlockPlus to kill ALL the ads on every site. Pretty impressive.

And just as an FYI in FireFox if you load the add-on called "Social Fixer" for your Facebook account you can block every facebook ad, every suggested post, every sponsored ad for you, AND you can block every political post, comment, using filters. The most recent release lets you block whole sections of your feed layout. Good by do you know these people, trending people crap. Makes Facebook usable and mildly fun again.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Brian, why are we getting these? Is this site now a medium for advertisers? If that's the case, then I won't be visiting any longer. I don't go to any sites that allow pop-ups.

Ed
1968RallySport likes this.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 03:34 PM
Team Member
Darin

Yep. just started today for me.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Iím guessing this awesome feature was enabled by the latest site updates....

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 04:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertfam View Post
Brian, why are we getting these? Is this site now a medium for advertisers? If that's the case, then I won't be visiting any longer. I don't go to any sites that allow pop-ups.

Ed
Okay a few things to know. All load balanced websites are moving rapidly to so called cloud based hosting service platforms. Load balanced means that the actual website - greenwidget.com lives on hundreds of servers, and if you are Amazon.com maybe tens or hundreds of thousands of servers worldwide and as requests from your browser hit the named https://greenwidget.com the load of all the current requests are spread across the entire number of servers up. So while you are in California your request could hit a server in Germany because its 2 am in Berlin and that side of the world has little traffic. This allows for almost 24/365 up time as taking one server down to run patches or load content has zero effect on the websites ability to serve content or sell widgets worldwide. Almost all of these cloud services offer high speed servers that actually are virtual, meaning hundreds of "servers" are running off one actual hardware server, as opposed to the old model of a server farm with thousands of servers in racks in a warehouse sucking up electricity and producing heat.

The top cloud platforms right now in the world are of course the largest Microsoft, followed closely by Amazon Cloud Services, and Google Cloud Services. Oracle, SAS, offer business based database platform as does Microsoft to name just a few. They all are designed to reduce the high costs of hosting websites, and for retail/goods and services customers the goal is to 100% monetize the visitors with either salable marketable data extraction, or through ad servicing on proven user trends. This is where the COOKIES cook you. So if you use Chrome your goose is double cooked, especially on a Google cloud based server. They know more about you than you now know. You are a commodity to be sold, and to be served other commodities and services.

So on to your question about the Amazon Prime Ads today...As I said it's not a pop-up ad it a special class of advertising called a hover ad because it does not have a window associated with it, which is why pop-up blockers fail to recognize it, and unless it has a close object you can't get rid of it. Hover ads stay on the center focus of your monitor even when you scroll.

Google has been rolling them out for months now to all clients who use their premier ad delivery system. Amazon is a major player, so is eBay. As we are hosted now in the center of the Google cloud, we are ground zero of the Google data spider web. All Google cloud sites get them part and parcel of the data stream. I suspect even if you are not a premier subscriber your feed will get them eventually as more sites incorporate code and services delivered from Google.

Only way to block them is to destroy the code that creates them. AdBlockPlus and NoScript do it very well. Painless actually.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Okay a few things to know. All load balanced websites are moving rapidly to so called cloud based hosting service platforms. Load balanced means that the actual website - greenwidget.com lives on hundreds of servers, and if you are Amazon.com maybe tens or hundreds of thousands of servers worldwide and as requests from your browser hit the named https://greenwidget.com the load of all the current requests are spread across the entire number of servers up. So while you are in California your request could hit a server in Germany because its 2 am in Berlin and that side of the world has little traffic. This allows for almost 24/365 up time as taking one server down to run patches or load content has zero effect on the websites ability to serve content or sell widgets worldwide. Almost all of these cloud services offer high speed servers that actually are virtual, meaning hundreds of "servers" are running off one actual hardware server, as opposed to the old model of a server farm with thousands of servers in racks in a warehouse sucking up electricity and producing heat.

The top cloud platforms right now in the world are of course the largest Microsoft, followed closely by Amazon Cloud Services, and Google Cloud Services. Oracle, SAS, offer business based database platform as does Microsoft to name just a few. They all are designed to reduce the high costs of hosting websites, and for retail/goods and services customers the goal is to 100% monetize the visitors with either salable marketable data extraction, or through ad servicing on proven user trends. This is where the COOKIES cook you. So if you use Chrome your goose is double cooked, especially on a Google cloud based server. They know more about you than you now know. You are a commodity to be sold, and to be served other commodities and services.

So on to your question about the Amazon Prime Ads today...As I said it's not a pop-up ad it a special class of advertising called a hover ad because it does not have a window associated with it, which is why pop-up blockers fail to recognize it, and unless it has a close object you can't get rid of it. Hover ads stay on the center focus of your monitor even when you scroll.

Google has been rolling them out for months now to all clients who use their premier ad delivery system. Amazon is a major player, so is eBay. As we are hosted now in the center of the Google cloud, we are ground zero of the Google data spider web. All Google cloud sites get them part and parcel of the data stream. I suspect even if you are not a premier subscriber your feed will get them eventually as more sites incorporate code and services delivered from Google.

Only way to block them is to destroy the code that creates them. AdBlockPlus and NoScript do it very well. Painless actually.
Adblock Plus does not block it....

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 05:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Ad block is doing nothing for me either. I got 3 pop ups in a row before I could do anything. Its a Amazon ad.I don't no have ever purchased from them. Ugh

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Ditto. 3 and done. If it didnt go away after 3 the site would have been useless to my ipad

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Yep same for me all day but only on TC site. No where else.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I have not had it on this site but twice on Stevesnovasite earlier today.

To update now about an hour later now I got the pop up also. The ad I got was an amazon one and even though I have not been a customer of theirs, they now got pushed to the VERY bottom of my list of ever supporting then later.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

Last edited by SOA-Nova; Jul 16th, 18 at 06:55 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Better get this fixed fast or the site will be losing people.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode