Error between the moldings and windshield..... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Error between the moldings and windshield.....

I had my windshield installed about 5 years ago by Safelite and tonight I finally got to the molding installation. As you will see from the pictures, the moldings sit flush with the body (I have the clips situated as far down as they can go (clip studs are factory...no modifications done). However....there is a HUGE gap up towards the top corners, so huge in fact that you can even see the clips. I am guessing the Safelite guy set the windshield too deep in the pocket? I'm pretty bummed about this. I'm not going to fix it this year, I've waited 25 years to drive my car and I can blow this off until next season. Anyone got any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	226271   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	226273   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	226275  

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	226277  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Error between the moldings and windshield.....

To repair it properly the glass will have to be removed and reset at the proper height.
The installer should have had the trim to check with when installing the glass. It takes
an installer with an understanding of what is required on these cars with trim.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 01:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

This "Season" of good weather hasn't even started yet. It would take, at the most. a couple of hours to re-set the glass. Be optimistic and call a glass guy to come re-set it. You can do this! Are you saying it is too low, closer to the ground direction? or shifted left to right direction? I did not see any pics of the top of the glass, showing the top trim. If it is in fact too low, there are clips that need to be screwed into the lower portion and rubber blocks get set in between the clips and the bottom of the windshield. this helps position the glass at the proper height, but you need the trim to insure the correct height and test fit.

Brett......

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Brett...no the windshield is fine as for as up and down and side to side position. However...it is set too deep in the pocket and if you look closely at the pictures you will see that there is a large gap between the A-Pillar moldings and the glass.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I'm nervous about chiming in because there are guys here that have done this many times (and then there's that urethane v. butyl tape thing!)! I've set one Camaro windshield! I guess Safelite didn't use the adhesive foam tape that serves to lift the windshield to its' proper height. It also serves to keep the goop from squeezing to the inside of the car. There are likely different glass thicknesses, so there may be more than one answer to the correct thickness of the tape. There is a YouTube guy in Scranton that will sell you the kit, but any windshield guy familiar with older vehicles should be up to speed. I'm with Brett! A good pep talk to keep you moving on is what you really need!

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRibbon View Post
I'm with Brett! A good pep talk to keep you moving on is what you really need!
You're probably right. LOL! Just seems like every step forward with this car is met with two steps back. I will win the war....eventually.

1968 Pro-Touring Camaro. LS1/4760E. With '67 Tail lights and a '70 rear view mirror...cause I'm weird like that.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 02:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapin View Post
You're probably right. LOL! Just seems like every step forward with this car is met with two steps back. I will win the war....eventually.
You know what I think? I think that the more challenges and set-backs you encounter, the MORE you will enjoy the eventual ride!
I've had my SS396 for three years and put 20 miles on it. I get to work on it maybe 2 hours a week & on Sunday, cause I'm so tired when I get home from work that I just can't bring myself to go get up and down on my old & tired knees. I finally got it running on Sunday and I'm getting really close to being able to go drive it!

Yes, it does sound like Butyl was not used.....

Brett......

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode