Engine won't fire - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Matt

Engine won't fire

Hey guys, hope this is the right place to post this question... I have 69 with a 406. Recently rebuilt engine. Just got it up and running since the rebuild. Was running good up until I had it idling in the drive way and the radiator/water pump hose popped off. Coolant pissed everywhere. I immediately shut it off. Got a new hose and clamp hooked up. Got the coolant all filled back up. Cleaned up. However now I can't get it to fire when I crank on it. I checked for spark and it's good. I checked a few cylinders for compression and they were consistently 150. The fuel is flowing through the carb. I tried jumping it to see if the battery was too weak. Any tips or things you'd recommend I look at? Really appreciate any info. This is my first project car and learning along the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 09:18 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Re: Engine won't fire

When you say you've got spark. is that at the spark plugs or only from tension lead at coil to the cap? If the latter, it's possible your points are welded if you have a normal dizzy.. Pull the cap and first check for moisture, if found dry it out, the spark is traveling to the dizzy body into the engine. If no moisture, twist the dizzy shaft and watch the points contacts to make sure they are either opening or moving either closed or more open. I might lean more towards wet dizzy cap from the spray.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 09:03 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I assume coolant went everyplace? How soon was it cleaned up, it is nasty stuff and you may have to inspect your starter, and connections for corrosion. Does the starter sound normal or running half speed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Matt

Thanks for the replies guys. It has spark at the plugs. I do have a normal distributor and pulled the cap to check for moisture. Found none. The coolant did pretty much spray everywhere on the passenger side. I cleaned it up as soon as it cooled down a little. The starter sounds fine it cranks well. Oil pressure is about 40 when it cranks.

Brandon I am happy to try the dizzy test you mention and report back. I will first have to google-fu to make sure I know what I am looking at.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

If you have spark at the plugs there should be ignition in the cylinders. Do recheck point gap and condition of the points. It's possible that they pitted out real bad and you have a week spark. Which then may be your coil being the issue. For grins and giggles, pull a plug and see if it is wet and smells of fresh gas after trying to start it. If you've got spark at the plug and it's wet with no combustion occurring at all, then it's a timing issue for sure. Whether it's the timing being off, the points being pitted too badly or a weak coil putting out too little spark. One other thing. .You didn't mention whether when it turned over if it tried to run and died or not. If that's the case, then look at the resistor on the firewall and make sure that its still good. You may be getting spark while cranking, but that would only be because the resistor is bypassed at cranking.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Matt

I will check the distributor and the resistor. It does not try to run and die... it just cranks indefinitely with no combustion at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode