92 Camaro 5.0 TBI - Shutting off Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Angry 92 Camaro 5.0 TBI - Shutting off Problems

Looking to see if i can find some opinions on a problem i have been having with my camaro. Listed are the items i have changed trying to find the problem.

Spark Plugs/Wires
Fuel Filter
Air Charge Temperature Sensor
Ignition Module

Noticeable problems - Car starts but immediatly after the high idle(when started) and transition to normal idle the car shuts off - Car will also not start up directly the key has to usually be turned in 2-3 quick turns and the 4th turn or so it will start. If given gas when started trying to keep the engine started it will also shut it off. I have had it backfire through the intake only one time while trying to give the vehicle gas upon starting.

Also, Upon the initial high starting the car sounds normal like no problems.

Another quick question. The car has been sitting for about 3 years now. Do you think that the gas has possibly broken down and causing this problem?

I am down and out of ideas for it. Looking for any and all help or maybe someone to talk with about what is or could be causing it. Thanks for the help...

-Shaun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 09:22 PM
wdf

Re: 92 Camaro 5.0 TBI - Shutting off Problems

No question that 3 year old fuel is not good! put your nose by fuel fill, smell like varnish? Remove air cleaner- watch spray pattern from injectors does it stop when car dies out? can you keep engine running spraying engine starting fluid in throttle body? Diagnose first- change parts later

Last edited by wdf; Jan 8th, 06 at 09:25 PM. Reason: add
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Checked on it today - The car will continue to run using starter fluid which tells me either bad gas or a bad fuel pump. I turned the car to the on position and listened to the fuel pump and it does kick on so its atleast operational.

Not sure weather it is working correctly or not but i will drain the current fuel and put in some new fuel tomorrow as well as some octane booster to burn out whatever is remaining if it is the fuel. If it doesnt fix the problem, I guess that would point it at the fuel pump and a pita job to start...

Also - It does have a very strong varnish smell and the Fuel injectors do not stop spitting fuel when it cuts off. It actually throws up a puff of air out of the intake when it does cut off though.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 05:49 PM
wdf

disconnect fuel feed line to tbi (the larger one) ck pressure should be 9-13 psi
11 is nominal. CHANGE fuel filter -varnish plugs them fast! install test lamp from b+ to white or blue wire at injector and crank engine-should pulse this is ecm firing injector ok? done
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Will do. Thanks for the help also. Gonna be workin on it first thing in the morning.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Ok. I drained the fuel tank and refilled it with 93 Octane fuel with a octane booster as well as a fuel treatment mixture. I can now actually keep the car running at a VERY rough idle using the gas peddle.

Now i have also checked around on all the vacuum lines and sensors that they go into. Im guessing since the car will not properly idle now a problem may have also happened in the vacuum. I sprayed starter fluid around the TBI and towards the back it started idleing fine. Sound like a vacuum problem?

Also, it has been backfiring alot through the intake with me pumping the gas to keep it started. Caught on fire once but just burning off excessive fuel that was on top.

I hooked up a snap-on computer and it was giving me an error 53 - Anti-Theft System error *DO NOT DRIVE* message. Im pretty sure this isnt normal...Any ideas?

BTW, Didnt check the fuel pressure yet. Need to go to the store to get a gauge for it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech

keep spraying starter fluid around while it is running and you won't have to worry about how it runs ever agian...unless you put the fire out fast enough!!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 05:42 PM
wdf

After car sat for 3 years then stalling and bad fuel-dont get to into the backfire
etc/car needs 30 minutes run time at 2000 rpm, full operating temp then a few full throttle passes. ck your fuel pressure first and see if the oil smells like gas/ repair as necessary
to ck for vac leaks use a propane torch with rubber hose to direct flow tosuspect area (adjustable flow and accurate placement)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Checked the fuel pressure...was at about 11psi so the fuel pump is working good. Thought i did noticed a little later that the fuel being dumped into the engine is quite watered down. It was actually beading up in the fuel on the throttle air plates on the TBI. So it seems that this headache of a problem could still be from some water that i was unable to crank out of the fuel tank. I took and put some water removing solvent in the tank and am trying to basically burn the water out.

It is still running very very rough. Almost like it has one heavy cam on it. Still cuts off right after dropping from high idle tho. Only way to keep it going is to basically pump the gas pedal bouncing the idle around where i want it at. until it warms up a bit where i can actually just accelerate slightly to hold it around 2-3k RPM where im trying to keep it steady to burn the water out of the fuel...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode