Anyone have new lifters do this?? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Angry Anyone have new lifters do this??

I'll try to make this as short as possible while still trying to make things clear.
350 motor, 1970 441 heads with 2.02's, screw in rocker studs, Crane full rollers rockers 1.5's. Mild Comp 270H cam, Stock springs, Bronze guides. Pretty basic. Since this motor was new I've had problems.
First 45 miles # 8 exhaust valve siezes in guide, (I'm thinking) and smacks piston, bends valve. Pull heads change piston, engine builder says valve guides little tighter than he likes & free's them up.
I bolt all back together.
11 miles later I'm hearing valve to piston again. Not over heating and has great oil pressure.
Pull heads & go to another machinist & explain. Different cylinder this time. Hmmm. Put steel guide in valve that bent to see what's up. (Experimenting) It was mild this time, just enough to knock it off it's seat & drop comp. to 50 lbs.

Bolt all back together. All's good. Put 159 miles on her pulling the Siskyious going to Medford Or. (Steeep climb)
Weeks later I think alls well and valve to piston rattle again!!

We're still thinking the valves are siezing in the guides. Only the exhaust valves are doing this.
We pull all the guides & go to steel and put new seals in. (the others rode up on the valve stem!?)
As I'm bolting all back together I decide to check all push rods.
Hmmm. I find 4 that are bent. 1 really bad.
I put new set in. All of them.
I adjust valves, but this time leaving them a little loose. (I'm kinda doing some experimenting now.) She fires right up, alls good.
I drive 5 miles and she's strong, just like the other times. But I notice some backfire a few times and big drop in power.
I pull the valve covers & hook up a remote starter switch so I can watch the rockers move.
HUHH??? As the rocker pushs the spring down & the valve open I stop rotation. And as soon as I do the rocker lifts back up and the valve is closing!! What? The lifters are bleeding down that fast! ALL OF THEM?
Looking at the row of rockers they're almost all in the same position after bleeding back up, or, the lifters bleeding down. You know what I mean.

Then the light bulb goes off. My valves are bending because They're adjusted too dam tight because they're not staying pumped up for me. (just long enough for me to get a bad adjustment without realizing it.)

THEN, for some reason 1 here and there decide to pump up and throw the valve too far bending a push rod etc. while I'm under load with my foot in it.

Has Anybody ever heard of such a thing as a bad set of new lifters? All of them? At once? I can understand a couple out of a batch but..... every one?

OR, are they having some sort of oil starvation. I'm shooting good oil to the rockers and have a nice steady oil pressure in the motor. But.....EVERY LIFTER?

Any thoughts or experience with this issue?
Yes, I'm buying a new set & put them in this week.

I think I can stop scratching my ***, er ah, I mean my head now. I hope.

67 RS 327, 4-speed, posi, done.
67 Modified, 454, TH-400, posi, under construction.
67 SS 396, 4-speed, basket case.
72 RS, sitting, partially done.
55 210 post, 2 door, 327 4-speed runs good.
55 2 door post, gasser project
69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing thru the leather straps"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 07:54 PM

Re: Anyone have new lifters do this??

I have never heard of all the lifters in a single engine going bad or being bad at once. Probably made on a Monday or Friday!!. I would be guessing by saying that maybe some part was left out of the lifter during assembly.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 08:43 PM
wdf

I have heard of high bleed lifters-used to make a high lift cam mild at low rpm, this would efectivly shorten the duration also

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Sounds like you may have "coil bind" going on with the stock valve springs, have you checked for that?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdf
I have heard of high bleed lifters-used to make a high lift cam mild at low rpm, this would efectivly shorten the duration also
Ditto this sound to be more the case. At the low rpm you turning the engine over at the lifters may not even pump all the way up. Put a set of standard lifters hydraulic in,and replace the pushrods and you should be good to go.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdf

Hmm, like a Rhoads pump up lifter? That makes sense. It should've had stock lifters put in but.....? Maybe they got a set mixed up during a hangover the next morning, or a fat splib the night before.

The 2nd machinist checked the springs for coil bind & they're good.

69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 06, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Update: Put new lifters in and all seems good. These lifters aren't collapsing letting the valves close like the others. Sounds better & runs better.
Fingers are crossed. Only miles will tell.

69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode