92 camaro rs wont start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation 92 camaro rs wont start

i just bought an 92 camaro rs with the 3.1 v6 owned it for about a month. when i bought it i put in a new starter, solonoid, and battery. car started and ran fine for about a month then when i got home from work i put the car in park and the motor just died. it didnt stall or act like it wasnt getting gas it just cut off like if u would have turned the ignition off. it didnt make any noises when it cut off and the service engine light wasnt on. i know enough about these cars to know that the fuel pump is a problem alot so i checked that first and it was fine. i checked for spark and no spark at the coil. motor turns fine and has compression in all cylenders. any sugestions would be helpful. this thing has to get running soon as i am using a friends car that he will need back in about a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 92 camaro rs wont start

I'm always reluctant to respond to no start problems on late model cars because they are usually related to VATs (vehicle anti-theft). However, you are saying it cranks. If I'm not mistaken, VATS will prevent the starter from engaging. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd pick up a Haynes manual at your local auto parts store and see if they have a troubleshooting procedure for the ignition system. It would be good to check the electrical connections to the ignition module to see if they pass the diagnostic. It may be as simple as a bad ignition module, but I'd hate to have you swap the part without doing some basic tests first.

Does this car have a typical distributor HEI setup on it? I don't think it is distributorless. Does the rotor turn when you crank the engine? Is the rotor in good shape? Is the center electrode in the cap in tact? Pop the distributor cap off and inspect those parts. Have a friend crank the motor to make sure the shaft turns. Check for blown fuses. Hope this gets you going.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I agree with dnult on all three accounts. VATS does prevent starter from engaging.

Check connections at the coil, sometimes the two do fall out from the connector.

As suggested, have a friend crank while you look to see the rotor is turning. Then I'd check the pick-up coil in the dist or change it.

It seems there is alot of those going bad. Check coil resistance, primary side will be very low, ie, 0.5 to 1.0 ohm, secondary side 8K-12K ohms.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

thanks i got it runnin again turned out that i had killed the ICM. quess it wasnt made to race on the stock one. got a new acdelco one and runs fine now. tested it in a 1/4 didnt time but hit 128mph so thats good for now on the v6 gotta supercharge and it will do better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode