Acceleration Problems.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Acceleration Problems....

I've read the previous posts, and my problem is a little different: I have a 69' convt. with a 383, edlebrock carb, MSD 6A ignition/cap and an Accel Super Stack coil. The engine was rebuilt not long before I bought it, and everything is new. After the car has been idling for a while, then accelerate, it starts to miss/lose power like it's not getting fuel. However, if I continue to accelerate, slowly the car gets up to speed. I've taken the car to the local speed shop, who everyone recomends, and they checked and reset the carb, timing, and valves. They also checked the fule filter, lines etc. He said it's probably the carb. The carb, along with everything else on the car is new. I thought it may by a firing problem, but the car is hard to start, even when it's warm I have to pump it several times. Any help would be greatful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Acceleration Problems....

I'd bet he is right. Timing, or an off-idle lean (transition slot) problem can cause it. Should be fixable with a slight adjustment of the carb. Tell us about the carb.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 11:05 PM
Senior Tech
Ray P.

Yeah, could be carb. Could be loading up at idle (too rich). Accelerator pump may not be working.(diaphram busted). Could be ignition problems.(plug gap, weak fire).

Seems like the shop would have knew the answer to the problem within 10 minutes. I recommend pulling a plug and looking it over. The bottom outer rim (after the treads, dead bottom) should be lightly carboned with black small flakes. That would go to fuel burning. Lot of carbon equals too rich, too clean equals lean. Next, take a look at the strap.(the part the spark jumps to) It should be a browinsh/tan up to where it goes back to the rim. That's timing setting affected. Next, look at the inner porcelin that surrounds the electrode. It should be tan in color. White is lean, black is rich, speckled is detonation, and cracking, broken is bad news.

If your running a good ignition, or HEI w/upgraded module and coil, gap the plugs about 0.010" more than stock. It will reduce plug fouling on high performance engines, but if your mostly stock, don't band-aid it, find the problem.

Ray

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

DNULT: The only thing I know about the carb is that it's a brand new Edlebrock 750 cfm. The tech I took it to reset the timing, and spent the better part of the day (supposedly) fine tuning. At first I thought it was loading up. but since I have to pump the gas several times I don't know.

CAMARO FEVER 68: The plugs are a brown, and in good shape. The gap looks a bit wide (.60 as a guess), but I don't have trouble with it all the time, about 75% of the time. I'll put new plugs in (ANY SUGGESTIONS, it's a driver) and see if that helps. Thanks for the help guys.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

The Carb is a #1411 Edelbrock 750 cfm. The plugs looked good. Brown strap, black carbon flakes around rim, porceline is tan. I did change the plugs anyway. The old ones were gapped at .40. I gapped the new ones at .50....It really woke it up but, it's still doing the same thing on acceloration. Can you think of anything else??
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I have the same carb with the same problems. I have talked to lots of people with this carb and they also have the same problems. The Holley will be going on soon.

ERIC
67 Convertible, 350CID, TKO600RR, 3.73 Eaton Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode