coil fires plugs don't - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 06, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

coil fires plugs don't

I just got a 89 rs (2.8 automatic) that i need to get running.I'm not sure of the history but it cranks and won't start.I have spark at the coil wire but not the plugs.It has a new cap,rotor,plugs and wires.The ICM and pickup coil tested good,distributer was replaced with a better used one.Can I test the 4pin connector at the ICM if so how.Any help to get this started is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 06, 03:18 PM
wdf

Re: coil fires plugs don't

is the spark at the coil a fat blue spark that will jump .080 gap? if not look to the coil! if it is trace it- coil /coil wire /cap /rotor /back to cap/ then plug wire.
no were is it written that new parts are good parts!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 06, 07:02 PM

chang your egnition module

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 06, 07:04 PM

a typical 305 ect. will work.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 06, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

I tried a different ignition module,played with the timing,different cap/rotor/wires and still spark on coil wire but not on plugs.I'm not sure how to varify spark on cap and rotor.Could the Engine Control Module cause this?If the neutral switch is out will the engine crank?What's ect?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 04:55 PM

check the crank sensor.if you have a scanner check and see if you have cranking rpm while cranking.also if i remember correct that should have a cam sensor as well.they use to drop the magnets that were mounted on the upper cam gear..you can tell if there is one by looking for a 2 or 3 wire connection on the front of the timing cover area.did you check to see if you have injection pulse at the injectors?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech

If you have spark at the coil wire then the problem has to be between the coil wire and the spark plugs, and by that I mean either the dist cap, the rotor or the plug wires themselves. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE THAT WILL PREVENT THE SPARK FROM GETTING TO THE PLUGS IF THERE IS SUFFICENT SPARK AT THE COIL WIRE. How did you test for spark?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech

My guess is either the rotor is bad or might be the wrong one.... try a different rotor, the spark is not getting to the terminals on the cap via the rotor.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Alright,I rechecked my spark on the coil wire.The spark is blue with white edges.I tested the coil as per Chiltons repair manual,test ok.After reading posts seems that it probably is a week coil.I'll try a new coil when I get a chance.Thanks for the input.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: coil fires plugs don't

I bought a new coil and it started,very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode