ghost in my iroc - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Cool ghost in my iroc

i am having with my 89 iroc. i wont start after i shut it off i have to wait about 20 to 30 minutes before it will start every time. i have changed the ecm and the ignition mode in the distributer. i have a matco pro 1000 scan tool. but it is not giving codes. it does show me that the injectors are not geting a neg pulse. the weird thing about the car is when i plug my scan tool in to the car the car changes idle speed . i had to put a new ecm in the first place is the old one went bad. if i tap the ecm the car would stop running. can anyone help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 12:02 AM
Senior Tech

Re: ghost in my iroc

It definitely sounds like an electrical problem. Check all the connections near the distributor and wires going to the coil. As for the ECM check to make sure all the pin connectors are tight, there maybe a loose connection. That explains why the engine quits when you tap on it.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 06:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

check your grounds.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
check your grounds.
I agree, remove all grounds, clean with sand paper and reconnect Thats where I would start
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

i got a new ecm and prom. the first thing i did check it the grounds. i tested it again this morning noticed that in open loop starts every time.. but as soon as it goes in to closed loop is when the car won't start untill the car goes in to closed loop. the book i have for the car is not too good at telling me what sensors would be involved with out sending a code. before i got the car the guy replace the "map" and "tps" and the"o2" along with the "maf". in the scan tool everything is giving me all the right volts and ohms readings. thanks for the info This car is kicking me in the (*^&)(&*.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 03:30 PM
wdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml6-71
i got a new ecm and prom. the first thing i did check it the grounds. i tested it again this morning noticed that in open loop starts every time.. but as soon as it goes in to closed loop is when the car won't start untill the car goes in to closed loop. the book i have for the car is not too good at telling me what sensors would be involved with out sending a code. before i got the car the guy replace the "map" and "tps" and the"o2" along with the "maf". in the scan tool everything is giving me all the right volts and ohms readings. thanks for the info This car is kicking me in the (*^&)(&*.
wiggle test the wiring harness at the ECM with engine running/ this will check for any poor connections to the ecm. if ok tap the ECM with open hand (do not bitch slap it!) if car glitches REPLACE ECM this tests for a cracked circuit board or poor connection IN the ECM. remember almost all ECMs are remans it is NOT
unusual to get a "new " one with a problem! ( 25 year GM master tech- once got a "new" one with the EXACT same problem, chased that one over 8 hrs)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

the wiggle test is how i found it out in the first place i was testing it and the it fell out of my hands and the idle changed so when i just tappet a little it would change idle or stop all to gether now i have a new one fixed all the problems except for the runing in closed loop only. it will start up if i put it in active field mode on my scan tool. i must have a bad second ecm?? any more thoughts would be much apreciated
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Re: ghost in my iroc

my other camaro is a 69 rs/ss with a small block 350 with a 6-71 blower. vroom vroom fast. still needs a crap load of work on body and trany now
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 03:09 PM
wdf

Quote:
the wiggle test is how i found it out in the first place i was testing it and the it fell out of my hands and the idle changed so when i just tappet a little it would change idle or stop all to gether now i have a new one fixed all the problems except for the runing in closed loop only. it will start up if i put it in active field mode on my scan tool. i must have a bad second ecm?? any more thoughts would be much apreciated
field service mode substitues fixed values for several of the varibles that the ECM controls! ANY restart should result in open loop operation as the ECM counts down time as one fuction that must be satisfied for closed loop.
YES- if wiggle test ok, replace ECM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

does that mean that one or several of the sensors are posibly giving a bad or incorect signal that the ecm just does not like.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 06:38 PM
wdf

Quote:
does that mean that one or several of the sensors are posibly giving a bad or incorect signal that the ecm just does not like.
no you are mixing up inputs and outputs to the ECM -you already said all sensor values were in spec./ replace theECM
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 06, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

i will give it a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode