car wont start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 06, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

car wont start

bought complete turn key motor, ran fine at an idle and reving in park or neutral, but once in drive or any time under a load the car began to bust up bad, tried to adjust carb and now cant get car to start period. it droped three plugs and i installed new ones and still no luck, timing is at 12 degrees. any help would be great

thanks
justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Re: car wont start

You really need to benchmark a starting point so that you can identify and if necessary, undo changes that you make. You may have hosed up the idle circuit adjustment by over-adjusting, but you should at least get a rough start even if you can't maintain an idle. You probably flooded the car. Clean and reinstall all of your plugs. Sometimes, after flooding, you have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank ... Your load issue may well be a timing issue. Is your engine and ignition stock? Are you using ported or full-time vacuum advance. A stock vacuum cansister or an adjustable one. If you are using ported vacuum, switch to full time . This will give you an early indicator because if your car stumble as soon as you connect the vacuum advance, you need to adjust the timing. You may also see these kinds of symptoms if you have an incorrectly adjusted adjustable vacuum advance unit. Set timing with vacuum advance disconnected and port plugged ... then attach vacuum advance afterwards. Make sure engine is warm and not runnning on choke...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help. the engine is a 383 stroker with an hei dist. the tranny is a tci streetfighter with streetfighter stall, the vacum advance is not hooked up on the tranny i was told being it had manual valve bodies i did not have to hook up the vacum advance up so it is capped of. also the tranny is leaking from up top on the bell housing, i know the housing is not cracked because the tranny is brand new i havent crawled under there to check yet i was frustrated i just seen it dripping onto the header. i guess i will start by trying to hook up the vacum advance thanks for the info.

justin

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

make sure it is not your oil sending unit that is leaking ... it is located at back of engine near distributor ... the engine builders should have given you some timing specs...if you have an aggressive cam, you usually require more advance on the timing .... I am chasing issues on a new engine myself..I know what you mean by frustrating ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode