smoke smell - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 06, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

smoke smell

I have a 2000 camaro, just recently purchased it. Since I have bought it after driving it I would notice a smoking smell. Its a 5speed and I am not that good with 5 speed. Well one day I jumped into the car with intentions on driving it when it seemed as if it did not want to crank. So i put some gas to it and then there was a popping noise and some smoke. I upped the hood and there was smoke. The smoke went away relatively fast and I was able to drive after that, but when I got home and parked I smelled smoke again. Tell me whats going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 06, 07:50 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: smoke smell

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing before you burn it up.

Schoon
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 06, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yeah, that's real good advice there. Cars will light off on you and burn like crazy. I would immediately go buy a small fire extinguisher and then do as Schoon says.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 06, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech

A couple things come to mind. I don't want you to overlook a more serious issue, but here are some things you should expect to encounter from time to time.

First, when cranking, if you let off the starter too quickly, the engine fire once and stop with pressure in the cylinders. Also, when this happens you may see whisps of fuel vapors coming from the air intake. It seems like once it happens, the engine is difficult to recrank. The engine turns over a little more slowly and takes a second or three to fire and run. But once it is running all is well. If this sounds like your problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Second, I ran over a plastic grocery bag while driving down the hiway one day. Dang thing stuck all over my exhaust system. I didn't see smoke, but it smelled like burning plastic for weeks.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode