No vacuum advance when hooked to carb? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 06, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

No vacuum advance when hooked to carb?

When I am plugged into the carb with the vacuum advance from the distributor, nothing happens and I run 10 on the vacuum gauge. When I put the vacuum advance from the distributor into an intake port, I get the correct 20 reading and the vacuum gauge and the vacuum advance kicks in. Whats the deal? Can I just plug the carb port and continue to run it into the intake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 06, 05:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: No vacuum advance when hooked to carb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezer
Can I just plug the carb port and continue to run it into the intake?
Yes you can.
There are usually more than one port on the carb. Some, like the one you pluged into, are "ported vacaum" and only have vacaum above idle. If you see one that is "lower" that will probably work, but plugging it into the manifold is fine too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 06, 05:59 PM

usually on the carbs vac port theres no vac present at idle, only as rpm increases and theres need for additional advance at idle.only under additional load.its normal to have no advance at idle.with it disconnected from the correct port on your carb, rev it to say 2500 hold it and connect the vac line to the ported vac source on your carb and your rpm should increase.hooking it to a intake vac port will increase your initial timing from 12-14 degrees or what ever your running to full advance 26-34degrees, thats fine long as you compensate by reducing your timing.try testing your present setup with a advance timing light,im quite sure its advancing.on a holley its the port on the left side behind the front bowl on the metering block.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 06, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezer
When I am plugged into the carb with the vacuum advance from the distributor, nothing happens and I run 10 on the vacuum gauge. When I put the vacuum advance from the distributor into an intake port, I get the correct 20 reading and the vacuum gauge and the vacuum advance kicks in. Whats the deal? Can I just plug the carb port and continue to run it into the intake?
Is this a stock motor?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 06, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

350 HO crate. Stupid question...what does the vacuum line going to the canister in the driver side quarter do? The other end from the canister goes through the fire wall. Does this possibly have to do with my defunct AC? I have manual brakes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 06, 01:44 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979schugger
hooking it to a intake vac port will increase your initial timing from 12-14 degrees or what ever your running to full advance 26-34degrees, thats fine long as you compensate by reducing your timing.
There's no need to to reduce your timing when changing from "ported" vacuum to full manifold vacuum, as total timing (initial plus centrifugal) isn't related to the vacuum advance at all; manifold-connected vacuum advance will add about 15* to idle timing (assuming you have the correct advance can), which will improve idle stability, idle cooling, and throttle response. You will, however, have to re-adjust idle speed and idle mixture, as idle speed will increase with the added idle advance.

JohnZ
CRG
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 06, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks. seems to respond much better with intake vacuum. no hestitation when goosed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode