87 IROC Problems.... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 06, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Question 87 IROC Problems....

Hello,
A buddy from work has a 87 IROC 350 TPI w/122,000 that he bought last year. Did the "tune up" parts"( cap, rotor, wires,fuel filter,PCV,air filter) and drove it for about 2 months until it started running real rough and seemed lower on power and was using alot more fuel. We have now been "guessing" on parts replcement and are now pretty much without a clue and he's just about out of money!! Here is what we have replaced as of today> Replaced the throttle position sensor. Rebuilt the Fuel Press. Regulator. New MSD coil. New MAF Relay. New MAF Sensor complete. Replaced the computer w/ "new"rebuilt one. The car shows a code 33 and sometimes a 22 which I believe is the MAF and the TPS codes..both of which have been replaced. Someone said to check the intake bolts for tightness which we did and still made no change. The car starts hard and barely idles. If you can get it to stop stumbling and running rough it may sometimes get up into the 2500-3000rpm range in park. The car is not drivable the way it is. Is there any sort of oddball sensor/relay that we missed that would cause this??? Is it possible that the "ignition module" in the distibutor bad. We havent checked or replaced anything in the dist yet. Any help is greatly appreciated as we are about at our ends.
Thanks Alot,
Dan in Wisconsin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 06, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 87 IROC Problems....

Dan, Have you checked all your vacuum line hoses for cracks or loose connections? You might have a major vacuum leak at the manifold. This would explain a trouble code of 22 and 33. The MAF and TPS tells the ECM what the proper air/fuel mixture should be set at.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 06, 09:14 AM

Check the cat could be pluged.My 88 IROC had the same problem,rough idle no power.
Changed the cat and the car ran great.

Rick

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 06, 06:29 PM

you were talking about replacing the throttle position sensor if u look at the left side of the top of the motor where the thottle cable is start up the car there should be alittle thing that pushes down when under throttle give it some gas and push it down it should clear out if thats the problem then you might want to try and respet the computer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 06, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

I had my injectors cleaned by this guy - http://www.cruzinperformance.com/. Fairly cheap and a great job plus I wanted to stick with stock injectors (price these out - ouch). I'm not saying this is it, but if you have to pull the plenum/runners to get to the EGR or the sensor that is mounted on the bottom of the plenum, you might as well do them. Pain to fix if due to the A.I.R. stuff if it has it. I've seen many people with intake leaks also. I have mine apart to replace the heads and the lines that come from the EGR and the ones that connect to the back right of the plenum has cracks, as soon as I bent one a little bit, it snapped in half. Some of them are the hard plastic thin lines that I don't think hold up as well.

I also think if your getting a code, you car is running in a open loop condition (I think this is the term) and when in this condition, it runs very rich. This is because rich is better than lean mixture when something is wrong.

-Dan

================================================== =

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 06, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech

Danzo.....Are you still out there??? Let us know what happened.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode