High RPM Miss - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 06, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation High RPM Miss

I have a 68 Camaro with 327, I have recently put an Edelbrock Performer Intake (2101) and Carb (1406). Also I put a HEI distributor before I did the intake and carb swap. My issue is that when the engine is cold and at WOT the engine hesitates at 3500-4000 RPM's. After I drive around for 15-20 minutes it doesn't do this any longer and runs strong. I am running at 10 degrees BTDC at idle and have not checked my mechanical advance but I believe it to be good. I thought it was an issue with the choke and have removed it completely and this does not help things. The carb from the factory is setup for economy, maybe its too lean cold and at high RPM? Maybe I need to change the push up spring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 06, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech

Re: High RPM Miss

First of all I wouldn't advise WOT on a cold engine. Quadrajets came with a lockout tang on the secondaries that wouldn't allow the secondaries to open when the choke was closed. They did this for a reason. If the choke is working properly the engine will start to load up after you exceed a certain rpm because it cannot draw enough air past the choke. Reset the choke so it idles and runs properly when cold and stay out of the secondaries until it warms up.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's

Last edited by 12run; Mar 8th, 06 at 01:39 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 06, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. As mentioned I am running an Edelbrock Performer Carb with NO choke.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 06, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech

If you're planning on driving the car in cold weather I would put the choke back on. I removed the choke on my Holley, but I never drive the car when it's below 50*F and I take it easy until it warms up.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 06, 09:32 PM

I think I might have a possible answer to your problem. When you drop an HEI into a non HEI application there are two other wiring changes you need to make. #1 Put 12v straight into the HEI. Usually from the fuse block.... #2 Don't Use The Resister Wire.... You should have a white/tan/orange wire coming from the starter to the coil... You don't use the old coil anymore... Just tape the resister wire out of the way.... I have a 70 camaro with the same problem (Does not like to idle when cold) Being from Central florida I never had much call for a choke anyway. (I thought it was just cold natured) although I never had problems with it breaking up at high RPM's. I was at the track one night and some friends where helping me do some on the spot tuning and they asked if I had Made the above mentioned changes. They told me that on cars with points type distributers only used 12v to start and then dropped to 9v to keep the points from excessive wear. I must tell you that I have not made these changes yet and you will need to double check these instructions with someone with better knowledge on the subject. Hope this helps....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 06, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned, I did swap out the resistance wire. I'm thinking the issue is more carb related. Maybe too rich. I'm waiting on smaller jets and as soon as I get them I will swap them out and see what happends.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Turned out, bad lobe on cam. Problem solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode