Here's an update to the OBDII code problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 06, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Thumbs up Here's an update to the OBDII code problem

I had the PO300 & PO463. I had no choice but to drive the truck 45 miles to a chevy dealership to have it fixed. The tech pulled the plugs and, oh my god! 5 out 8 had NO electrodes left. Porcilean gone also. Gee, must've been the multiple misfire code. LOL He said I wouldn't have made it much further. If it wasn't for the fact that the coils are shoving 50K + voltage out of them It would've shut down sooner than it did. Gee, you think? But why is the question.
I had just put these plugs in maybe 3500 miles ago. I felt that the engine had a miss & thought after a 100K & some change they needed to be replaced. My fuel mileage was down also.
So I goes to Schucks/Kragen & ask for a set of plugs for my application.
Get Autolites, Pre-gapped mind you. I checked them and they were at 50. So I figure, allright, since I'm not positive on what the gaps suppose to be.
Then I get a bad batch of fuel, we found small amounts of water in the fuel rail. Not alot, but it was there.
So unknowingly I hook up the trailer & stick a 5K lb. truck on it and start dragging it up hills.

Here's our theory. The bad fuel started it to miss-fire, And having the WRONG plugs in it with too hot of a heat range and not gapped properly,(needs to be 60, not 50) started it pinging & detonating with my foot in it, with a load of course, pulling upgrades.
After the plugs took that initial hit the computer was trying to compensate but it just kept eating the plugs.
So wrong plugs & bad fuel.
I tried to help the truck & my wallet shopping for fuel and what do I get.
A hefty bill.

So we still have a mis-fire on #2, but only at idle. anything above 1000 and the miss is gone. And it's not steady, it's intermittant. Not only can you feel the miss, but the scanner is showing it too. This is the same miss I changed the plugs out for. We swap coils, fuel injecter, new plugs, wire, compression test, valve springs and then finally do a leak down on it thinking an electrode got the valve seat. Nothing!! Everything is good.
We're still scratching our heads on it. But fresh fuel & new plugs and she ran good back home.

It's going back friday for a 4x4 service & trans flush, seatbelt retracter re-call, and the tech say's he'll try to figure out the miss but? Go where? short of pulling the head. If it's only there at idle I can live with that. I say run her till she blows, then you'll find out what the problem was. LOL ( New Long block 6.0's are only 4K according to them.)

The 463 code is a matter of how long do you want to watch your fuel gage go nuts. No real harm to anything, only affecting some components of the fuel evap system.

So there it is. What was cool, I was with the tech the whole time conversing & watching him and learning some things along the way. So I know he did the tests, I watched him.

67 RS 327, 4-speed, posi, done.
67 Modified, 454, TH-400, posi, under construction.
67 SS 396, 4-speed, basket case.
72 RS, sitting, partially done.
55 210 post, 2 door, 327 4-speed runs good.
55 2 door post, gasser project
69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing thru the leather straps"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode