RS trouble shooting help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

RS trouble shooting help

I was trying to trouble shoot my RS flip lights last night. I disconnected one of the vacuum lines and sucked on the line to check for leaks. I could hear air leaking in from the bottom area of the Relay Vacuum Switch that is mounted on top of the vacuum tank.

This may be a very dumb question but is the Relay supposed to leak?

I also double checked the manual switch on the relay to see if moving it one way or the other would change things and it did not fix the leak.

Could the relay be stuck on manual open mode to vent the air so I can manually open and close the covers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 08:38 AM
Retired
Jim

Re: RS trouble shooting help

the switch can get gummed up over the years with exhaust gases if the filter in the line from the manifold isnt good. Get a Vac tester guage/pump that also 'gives' vacuum, its one of the neatest tools I bought, then you can apply vac to all the parts seperatly to find leaks. There are so many connections on those vac hoses that can leak or the hoses split or the 't' breaks etc.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I have access to a vacuum tester but it could be a few days before I get ahold of it.
All of my vacuum lines, fittings, and check valves are new. There is one old section of line that I am replacing tonight but there is no leek anywhere except for the relay.

I am guessing by your responce that the relay should not be leeking air. The relay is new but that does not mean it is functioning correctly.

I will spend some more time on it over the weekend.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I found my answer on another post.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71320

The relay should not leek. It also seems that a leek from the bottom of the relay is common.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The relay only leaks air when the actuators are moving, or if you have a leak past the actuator pistons. The relay directs vacuum to one side of the actuator piston or the other, and then vents the other side of the actuator. If it didn't do that the actuator would lock in one position. So if you hear air leaking past the relay and your actuators are in the position they are supposed to be in (closed with lights off, or open with lights on) then one (or both) of you actuators are leaking internally.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mark.

My lights were off with the light doors closed and the engine was off when I noticed the leak in the relay.

I will vacuum test the acuators as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Where did you buy your relay? I have heard bad things about the repro relays(leaking). I saw where Rick's sells two different ones, a repro that looks like original, and one they call a workable GM replacement.

I called them a while back and the guy I spoke with told me he would recommend buying the GM one. Even though it doesn't look like original he said they work alot better. I still haven't bought one yet as I'm not to that point yet. Let us know what you find out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately the previous owner replaced this part before I bought the car so I donít know where it came from.

I checked Rick's catalog and it is the relay pictured to the left. The all black plastic looking one not the one with the metal top.

I am guessing this is the reproduction and not the more expensive GM replacement. I say this because the guy who had the car before me put allot of cheap effort and parts into the car.

I may wait until Spring Carlisle to pick up a new one. I will keep this information in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode