can lock/unlock door when closed but not when open - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 06, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

can lock/unlock door when closed but not when open

I can lock and unlock the door with the key and with the knob when the door is closed. However, when the door is open, if you push the knob down (to lock position) you can't pull it back up no matter how hard you try to. Then if you close the door, it is locked and you cannot unlock it with the key or the knob (both are stuck). The only way to pop the door is to release it with a screwdriver from the inside at the lock mechanism near the striker. This happens to me on both doors! Both door latch/locking mechanisms are new. Both seem to work alright out of the car. ANyone know what the problem could be? This happens everytime I try it, without fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 06, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech

Re: can lock/unlock door when closed but not when open

I cant answer your question but I hope not to have the same trouble with mine that are new aswell, I havent used them yet! Your post makes me nervous.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 06, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yeah, the original door latch/locks were in pretty bad shape. So I decided I would get new ones to avoid any problems. When I first encountered the problem, I called the place I ordered them from and the guy there told me that he had seen similar problems with old worn out ones, but not with the new ones. He said that sometimes people really jamb the doors in to make them fit and that could cause the lock to bind. But that wouldn't explain why I can't unlock them when the door is open. At least he was able to tell me where to push with the screwdriver to open them. Luckily I hadn't put the door panel on yet! I will post again if I figure out a solution to the problem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 06, 04:42 AM
Senior Tech

Please post your find it will help everyone. It sure is a hard place to see and work isnt it. You almost need a dentist to do it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 06, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sure is. Here is one tip I learned. To pop the door if it is closed, locked and you can't unlock it (without the door panel in place), I found you can use about a 12+ inch long metal rod (works better than a screwdriver, as you might have to bend it a little to get at exactly the right spot). The best access I found is from the hole in the top of the door where the threaded lock knob rod comes through. Looking down through that hole you can see where the door striker sits in the latch. Just above that are two vertical rectangular tabs, one right next to the other. The tab on the right (to the front of the car) actually will move up and down slightly when you push the door handle button in and out. The tab to the left of that (to the rear of the car) is the one you want. Just position the rod on top of the left tab and push down. Door should spring right open.
Maybe this is something everyone knows, but I thought I'd post it. Took me about an hour of looking at the old lock to figure this out and open the door.

I was just thinking that perhaps an exploded diagram of the latch/lock mechanism might be useful. Anyone know where to find one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode