Starter? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 06, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Starter?

I'm pretty sure my starter is the problem, but I thought I would post before I go and get a new one.
First of all, i've had problems starting the car recently. The first issue started with the engine not cranking like it didn't have enough gas. I'm thinking carb on this one. After it finally cranks, it will die at least twice before staying started. I don't think this has anything to do with the current problem, except maybe the amount of time i have to start it to keep it running and wearing out the starter.
Anyway, this week I tried to turn the car over and all I got was the fan, second time was a grinding noise and finally the third time it cranks with the same issue with gas. This has happened on several occasions now.
If anyone has any thoughts on this besides the starter, please chime in.

Thanks,
Mike

Missing my Camaro!
See Profile Pic:
67 Camaro 327 4speed (LS1/T56 purchased - awaiting install)
2010 Summit White/Inferno Rally 2SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 06, 09:51 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Starter?

Mike, What is the timing set at? It sounds like it might be to far advanced putting alot of stress on the starter. Also make sure your choke and carb are set properly. That will cause hard starting and no doubt shortened the life of the starter. It also sounds like the Bendix gear on the starter is wearing out.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 06, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: Starter?

I didn't think of checking the timing since it idles pretty good. I'll have to get it to the shop soon to see. I figured the carb would have to be adjusted. What's your estimate on how long it would take to wear down the starter. I think I'm going to install a new starter for now until I can take it in to check everything. Thanks for the input.

Mike

Missing my Camaro!
See Profile Pic:
67 Camaro 327 4speed (LS1/T56 purchased - awaiting install)
2010 Summit White/Inferno Rally 2SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode