91 Camaro RS Dies in Drive - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 06, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

91 Camaro RS Dies in Drive

Having a problem with my 91 Camaro RS, 3.1L, automatic transmission. It idles fine in park, but while in Automatic Overdrive [D with the square] the "service engine soon" light comes on and off, and eventually the car will die in the midst of accelerating. It'll start back up, but putting it into Automatic Overdrive will cause it to die again. I can feel a drop off in power when I'm accelerating a few seconds before the "service engine soon" light comes on.

I can put it into Drive [D without the square] and the "Service Engine Soon" doesn't come on. When cold it will die if I accelerate too fast in Drive, but after about 5 minutes I can accelerate however fast without having it die.

Anybody have a clue? It's got me scratching my head.

Last edited by SactownSunsFan; Mar 24th, 06 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 06, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: 91 Camaro RS Dies in Drive

Update- Just replaced the distributor, dist. cap, ignition module and rotor and the problem continues. None of these are causing the problem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 06, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech

Ignition problems are a prime suspect for "lack-of-power-under load" problems. Any time you have a check engine light come on, you should try to get the codes. There is a simple way to get codes out of your specific engine controller. It involves shorting two pins on the diagnostic connector and turning on the key. The check engine light will flash out the codes. But since I can't recall which pins to short, I'll leave it at that and hope someone else can clarify. www.thirdgen.org is a good resource for engine diag and tweaking stuff. Perhaps a search there will find a code extraction procedure for you.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

On OBD I, you have key off, short ALDL Pin A to B. Turn key on, SES will flash codes.

The first one should be 12, ie, "flash" pause "flash flash." Then codes captured will flash out as stated earlier. Have pencil & parer ready to copy codes.

After going through its memory and flashing codes for 5 times, it will repeat. You want to see code 12, this tells you the ECM is communicating, er, at least working.

See your local Mac man and get Mac Tool P/N ECM-1. Best tool to use. Has instructions and codes.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 08:27 AM

I had a similar problem. It was the TCC solenoid in the trans. I just kept it in drive until I fixed it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking it's more along the lines of a fuel system problem now. Since replacing the distributor (which I believe was faulty anyway, check engine soon light doesn't come on since replacing it, loss of power doesn't occur when accelerating), the car no longer dies except when I first start it up, if I don't rev up the engine and give it gas for a good 30 seconds before moving out of park, it will die upon acceleration. If I do give it a good rev up, I don't experience any problems. I purchased some complete fuel system cleaner treatment yesterday, and will add it into my tank when I fill up today. I'll let you guys know if this fixes my current problem. Thanks for all those who replied tp my problem.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

The problem I'm having seems to a be fuel system problem. I got down to a quarter of a tank the other night and the problems came right back. Luckily I was a few blocks from my house and managed to limp it home. Yesterday I put 5 gallons of gas into it using a gas can and the problems seem to have disipated. If I remember correctly, my problems didn't occur the first time until I got to 1/4 tank. My gas gauge is working correctly. I have a gut feeling that as long as I keep my tank fuller than 1/4 tank my car won't die. Also, if I'm idling at a red light my car will run rough and die quickly if I don't give it gas. If I do give it gas, it still runs rough but will not die.

What's the likelyhood that the problem is my fuel pump?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 06, 07:56 AM

If it runs good over 1/4 tank the probability is 10-1 i would lean more to the fact that you may have trash in the tank and or maybe a clogged fuel filter(at the pump). More than likely though it is just some garbage in your tank. If you want to inspect the fuel filter and all drop the tank this will let you see inside the tank so you can see if anything is in there. I would recomend running it down to where it starts to act up then drop it so that way if something is clogging up the filter it will be stuck to it when you pull the tank. Also while you've got it down i would check to see if the line from the pump has been replaced , it should be an aluminum line and should be straight down from the pump no curves or bends in it. Another thing that could be your problem is the evap-canister lines if they are loose i've heard of them causing problems although i cannot remember if its what you explain but worth a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode