I don't really know whats happening! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 06, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I don't really know whats happening!

I have a 1968 Camaro. So I start my car when it is at my house, and it starts up great. Then I will be driving around and playing the radio, then if I kill the engine and try to start it up again the battery will be dead. What could cause this problem? I know its the battery becuase the lights won't turn on while the car is off, but the battery is only about 4 months old. So it is as if something is draining the battery, but the battery isn't being able to charge back up. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks

-James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 06, 01:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: I don't really know whats happening!

Could be a bad bat but I would bet it is your altenator. I had the same problem last month and it was the altenator which took out my bat at the same time.

Schoon
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 06, 02:26 PM

Had the same problem on a chevelle, turned out to be the header was heating up the starter to the point that you had to let the car for a while before it would start again. Asimple haet sheild solved the problem.
/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 06, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Alternator or voltage regulator...beauty of 1960's engineering battery ,alternator,voltage regulator constitutes the bulk of the the charging system,aint that great!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 06, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech

Give your battery a good charge. Put a volt meter on the battery while it's charging. Should read about 14 volts once it's fully charged (charger putting out less than 3 or 4 amps. Turn off the charger and watch the volts decline to about 13 or 12.5...something above 12volts.

Hook it back up to the car (if it isn't already hooked up) and monitor the voltage while someone cranks the engine. Volts should stay above 8 while cranking if the battery is good. Between cranks the voltage should settle out to about 12. Once the engine starts the voltage should jump up to 13 or 14 volts.

Any deviation from the above readings / circumstances will tell you where your problem lies.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Follow dnult's suggestion. If battery is not being charged, look in two places; 1. Horn relay, driver side of radiator support underneath the washer bottle. It has two red wires with on having a fusible link and both attach to a buss bar. Clean the buss bar and terminals with a wire brush; 2. Junction block in front of battery on the radiator support. Terminals usually get corroded and broken strands. Clean & repair both.

Clean battery posts, clamps, and the terminals at both ends.

Alternator could be of too small amperage to charge battery if you are using alot of electronics/audio equipment.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 11:11 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Is your generator light coming on on your dash? I had a similar problem as you, but my gen light would not turn off and it turned out to be a broken wire going into the voltage regulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode