Car wont idle - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Car wont idle

I have a 68 Camaro with a Holley carb that I am getting ready for the spring/summer. I had a hard time getting the car started and once it started it would not idle. I literally had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep it running. I am thinking I need to tune the carb. Any other ideas on what might be happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 07:50 AM

Re: Car wont idle

Are you sure your choke is operational?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested, when cold, needs help. Also, after it warms up, do you still need to help it idle/ If so, check for a vacuum leak.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech

As Everett stated above, check for a vacuum leak at the base of your Carburetor or any loose vacuum lines including your PCV hose. Also you might want to check your fuel filter and see if it is clogged.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Allright guys, I have tried everything. I still cannot get my car started. I have checked for a vacumn leak, but did not find one. I manually adjusted the choke, no dice. I tried last night and the car wont even turn over, just clicks (even thouhg I am jumping the battery!!)

Any suggestions? I ordered a points to electronic ignition conversion from Crane and it should be at my house today. Do you think this may help?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 06:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You need to get it cranking good first. Start with a good battery charge, also remove, clean, and reinstall the battery cables.

Did the car run good before you put it to sleep for the winter?

When you had it running yesterday how long did you run it?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

The car ran great when I put her away. Two days ago the car would start but would not idle (had to hold my foot down on the gas). Now I can get the car to even crank over. Tonight I am going to clean out the battery cables and the posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech
John

How long has this car been sitting? Was it stored inside or out? I am thinking along the lines of bad gas or clogged fuel filter, but it could be anything at this point.....Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 01:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Just be methodical... don't get frustrated... troubleshoot the problems one at a time.

First thing is motion... if it don't spin it won't run. put the battery on a charger overnight, not just use jumper cables. If the car was stored in freezing temps without a trickle charger on it, the battery may have frozen. If it did, it's toast, replace it.

Check and clean both ends of both battery cables... do it right, not just yank on it and say "that looks good" take em off, clean the terimals, inspect em, and replace em or put em back.

Once she'll crank, she should fire again.
Once she fires, get her warmed up a bit, even if you have to hold the gas a bit. then get someone else to hold the gas, while you crank the idle speed screw enough so she'll run on her own. Then check your timing.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

The car was stored inside since last November. I put in Sta-bil to keep the gas fresh and disconnected the battery. I was working on her last night and it seems like there is not enough juice coming from the battery even when jumping. I am going to get a battery charger and see what I can get done.

Do you think that the fuel filter might be clogged? Everything ran great when I put her away for the winter.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmo99
I put in Sta-bil to keep the gas fresh and disconnected the battery.
If Sta-Bil was added, car should have been filled up and driven for 15-20 miles to allow the additive to "mix" with the rest of the fuel and to get distributed throughout the system.

Fuel filter may have gotten gummy as well as fuel pump in tank. Injectors should be good to go. But remember, whatever gunk is after the filter is now in the injectors.

Might try a can of BG 44K to clean out the system.

Battery could use a good charge also. Leaving it set since Nov '05 without a charger didn't help either.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode