Disaster? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 06, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lars

Unhappy Disaster?

I need help!
I don't remember the word, but it's the axle between the transmission and the rear-axle..anyhow, the yok and the thing that connects the mentioned axle and the rear axle, slams into the floor of the car when I hit the throttle. is it worn out suspension, or are all hopes gone ? Big thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 06, 11:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Disaster?

Welcome to Team Camaro!

That thing would be the driveshaft...

You need to crawl under and start looking at thing like springs and shocks and stuff. You may have broken a spring. Jack the car up and support it by the rockers so the springs and rear axle hang free, and see what you see. Could be just saggy springs. I had a '67 once that put one of the front spring eyes right thru the backseat!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

Last edited by JimM; Apr 1st, 06 at 11:12 AM. Reason: speeling
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 06, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lars

wow! thanks for quick answer!the car has monoleaf springs and I have installed adjustable air ride to see if it will make the suspension harder.since norway is so snowy, and my car is a summer-cruiser, I have not tried the new air ride, but will adding leafs help?

Newbie from the North
'67 Camaro 350 / 350 (part RS-clone)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 06, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

let's do some checking first.
How long has it done this?

This is not something a Camaro suspension in good condition does, unless you have big power AND big tracion, and even then wheelhop is more likely.

Check for stuff that is broken.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 06, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lars

I bought the car a year ago, and it has always done this.but only when i really hit the throttle.in gentle acceleration, it works fine. I know that a rubber"bumper" is worn out.a rubber thing that sits above the rearaxle-house..I do not have big power nor traction.it's like the car "sits down" on the rear end when I hit it.

Newbie from the North
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 06, 02:06 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Sounds like a broken transmission mount to me... Give it gas, the engine torques and lifts the tail of the trans off the crossmember...

Most likely a broken suspension part would result in the car sitting funny, not going straight and/or bouncing over bumps...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 06, 02:51 PM
Tech Team
Keith

Send a message via AIM to 69mkitmine
Lightbulb Re: Disaster?

Quote:
Sounds like a broken transmission mount to me... Give it gas, the engine torques and lifts the tail of the trans off the crossmember...

Most likely a broken suspension part would result in the car sitting funny, not going straight and/or bouncing over bumps...
Yeah, what he said, this has been my experience. All in favor?

Keith
1969 V8
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 06, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lars

thanks

I might have discribed the problem in a messy way, my english isn't great..
It seems like the car sits down and the yok and driveshaft hits the ground and then the car.but I have not checked the transmission-mount for damage.
what shall I look for?should eveything be tight?

Newbie from the North
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 06, 09:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

For the transmission mount, jut put a jack under the trans case and lift the trans a bit and make sure the mount does not separate.

I'm still thinking broken springs, or possibly collapsed and rusted out torque boxes. Look where the front of the leaf springs attaches to the body. They can break where the front of the spring wraps around the bushing. It will continue to support the weight of the car, but under torque may separate. If you support the car by the body (rockers) and let the axle hang, you should be able to inspect that area and see the problem.

If there's nothing broken, you might replace the springs. They could easily be that old and saggy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode