1979 berlinetta wont start? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 06, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Cool 1979 berlinetta wont start?

I just finished putting used head's on,did all the valves.car was running before i ripped the head's off due to head gasket problem.She will crank over but will not start.I've checked for spark and gas,both are ok.Motor
has strong compression.I'm thinking when i set the valve lash i might of
tightened the rocker's down to tight.Would that create a problem when trying to start it?I'm pretty sure I put the distributer back in right ,just boggling my mind and I need help....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 06, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Re: 1979 berlinetta wont start?

forgot to mention it has a 350 hp motor fresh rebuild before i bent a valve due to letting my sister drive it (she blew the belt and kept driving)bent 2 valve's the intake and exhaust in number 1. ring's are fine thank God.just painted her up and took alot of time and just want to hear her purr...thanx
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 06, 05:27 AM

When you are turning the car can you smell fumes like its flooding?? If so then you need to advance the timing a bit , if not then i would suggest retarding it. If that doesn't work then i would say you need to retime it. Also you may want to check your choke to see if its working properly. And also do you get any kind of fire at all like small burst or anything of that nature. I had the same problem with my 88 when i first put my motor back in her the timing was off like 6 degrees. So it would pop but not run.

Last edited by twistedx11; Apr 4th, 06 at 09:31 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 06, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

it wont even pop or nothing but i checked for spark, gas and compression
i dont know why it is'nt working...if someone could give me a good way to time it right (finding the number 1)that would help thank you
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 06, 08:44 PM
Senior Tech
Darrell

#1 is driver front,roll up to TDC on compression stroke and see if rotor is pointing at #1 WIRE ON DIST. if your getting spark at plugs and fuel it should at least pop.if valve lash is really tite it mite not fire/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

thanx man I will give it a shot today and let you guy's know
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

thanx for everyone's help but I wont need it for a while do to the fact some punk stole the whole top end of my engine while it was parked outside my dad's radiator shop they stole everything :my edelbrock intake(which i just bead blasted) my carb and msd distributer and taylor wire's and even my brand new gasket's!!!!!!! how low can some people go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode