posi rear problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 06, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

posi rear problems

when I take off hard my rear only locks up sometimes, seams like when I baby it it locks up more. going into 2nd it locks up a little more but not all the time.Does any one have any ideas why. I'm still trying to get the #s off the rear, but between undercoating & rust it's hard. ( it's a 12 bolt in a 69 z ) The track opened 2 weeks ago & I would like to make some runs in a week or two. My 18yr.old son wants to go and bring some friends from school & I doin't want to get beat by some riceburner in front of them. Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 06, 11:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: posi rear problems

Got the right posi gear oil in it? not all limited slip oils work in a posi.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 06, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help,I was out of town for a few days so I just got your info . I'll drain and refill the rear & see what happens. Thanks Bob

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 06, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

If it is a clutch type, either the clutches could be worn or your putting more power through the rear than the current set of springs can handle and may have to upgrade to thr 800 pound spring set.

Larger Dave
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 06, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I'll drain and refill the rear
Quote:
not all limited slip oils work in a posi.
We are in NZ...I went thru 3 diff types...then at wits end, called ito another diff shop who have me some of his stock out of a bulk drum..no labels...worked perfect ever since.
The problem now is The guy has retired and died...]
I THINK it was a Goodwrench??? oil?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 06, 10:35 PM
Senior Tech
Rob.

Also there is an additive, I think about 8 ounces, but I can't remember the name of it.

Rob

"There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 06, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Go to a GM dealer and get some Posi-Lube additive.

Kev
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 06, 08:02 PM
Tech Team
Keith

Send a message via AIM to 69mkitmine
Exclamation Re: posi rear problems

Quote:
Go to a GM dealer and get some Posi-Lube additive.
I'm pretty sure this is a friction modifier, and would make this situation worse.

Keith
1969 V8
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 06, 08:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mkitmine
I'm pretty sure this is a friction modifier, and would make this situation worse.
Right, the posi additive is for "smooth operation"

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 06, 11:33 PM
Senior Tech
Rob.

Two years ago my sons 12 bolt in a 70 chevelle would make loud snapping noises when he drove around a corner, he had me listen outside the car, it sounding like something was binding up and then it would make a pretty loud noise, the guy in town that works on this kind of stuff said to put the positract lube, about eight ounces, it went away, but what he has is probably different.
just my .02 cents.

Rob

"There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode