Starter not disengaging... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 06, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Starter not disengaging...

Well as soon as I got my carb problem fixed now this. This afternoon the starter would not disengage even after I had pulled the key out. I have tried putting in shims (1/32 on each side) and replacing battery with one just off the charger . Problem still there. The only way to get it to stop turning over is to pull the pos. cable. After removing cable I can put it back on and it might start 2-3 times with no problem. I plan on removing the starter and seeing if it still does it on the ground. If it works fine on the ground does that mean the starter is good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 06, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech

Smile Re: Starter not disengaging...

Sounds like the solenoid is not working as it should. The contact inside the solenoid is probably badly burnt. I would try that before investing in a new starter. I think i paid about 10-15 bucks the last time i bought one. Hope this helps.

Tom
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 06, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Starter not disengaging...

Check the positive battery cable going to the solenoid and see if it slipped making contact with the switch terminal. If that's okay then replace the solenoid as Tom said.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 06, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech
Rob.

Heres some more on starters I posted on another site.

Go down to a auto parts store and tell them you need a check pin for your starter and the instruction sheet that goes with it. If you have a auto zone there they will give it to you for free, auto zone puts the instruction sheet and pin in the box with rebuilt and new starters. If any auto parts store can't furnish you with one then somethings wrong.

This pin is round and about four inches long .125 ( 1/8'' ) thick.

Now pull the inspection cover so you can see the starter drive and teeth on the flywheel, carefully take the pin and instruction sheet and see if the pin will slide between the armature shaft and a tooth of the ring gear. The instruction sheet will show you how to shim it and where (get a bunch of shims you'l need them) you can take back what you don't need.

This might take a few times unbolting and reshiming but be patient because if you shim it right it will be quieter and will last a long time, because if you don't you'l be replacing starter drives and sometimes the ring gear (flywheel) gear, been there on ring gears.

I don't know if this is your problem, but after you mentioned shims, I thought I would run this by you, good luck.

Rob

"There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 06, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Turns out it was the solenoid, and only $10 what a deal.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 06, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

Smile Re: Starter not disengaging...

Glad it was simple and cheap. Thanks for posting what you found. Sometimes these old cars can drive you up the wall, but god i love 'em.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 08, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I'm having the same exact symptoms. Today I finished installing a new clutch assembly and rebuilt transmission. I've been working on this over the last few months. I did install a new starter and was careful to check the flywheel spacing prior to putting the bellhousing back on. After getting everything back together I wanted to crank the engine without the coil wire installed to check out the starter. It cranked beautifully and everything seemed OK, as I turned on and off the key many times.
However, after making some more checks I turned the key on and off and the started kept going. The only way I could stop it was by disconnected from the battery. I can then reconnect the battery and have the same situation once I turn the key to the start position.

My question - I'm assuming the starter will stay engaged as long as the solenoid is enaged, regardless of the key position. Is this true? I'll be pulling the started out tomorrow to check the solenoid.
ColoradoZ28
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 08, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoZ28 View Post
My question - I'm assuming the starter will stay engaged as long as the solenoid is enaged, regardless of the key position. Is this true? ColoradoZ28
True.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 08, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech

A bad ignition switch can cause this same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode