92 Camaro RS stalls out immediately - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

92 Camaro RS stalls out immediately

This is my dad's camaro. It is a basically bone stock 92 camaro RS with a 305 mileage around 50k. The car will start and run with a few cranks but will stall out after about 5 seconds. It will start up the same way but will run a little bit (seconds) longer each time. It does not respond to the throttle at all and he has changed alot of the major sensors. He told me all the things he's replaced but I can't remember them all. The car does sit alot and sees very little use. He does start it regularly but it seldom leaves the garage. He's changed the oxygen sensor and computer module as well as the distributor cap. He inspected the egr valve and said it seems to close fine. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I can get more info from him as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 92 Camaro RS stalls out immediately

Sounds like the fuel pump is giving up. Have you checked the fuel press? When you turn the key to the on position you should hear a hum until the pump gets the system up to press. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 06, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

I thought that myself. He started it for me the other day and I thought I could hear it running after it stalled out. We'll have to check that out. What is the best way to test it? Could it be a pump relay?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 06, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandStacy
I thought I could hear it running after it stalled out. We'll have to check that out. What is the best way to test it? Could it be a pump relay?
If you hear the fuel pump running, then there is nothing wrong with fuel pump relay.

There should be a Scrader valve on the fuel rail for pressure testing. TBI = 9-13 PSI, MFI = 45-55 PSI.

It may be flooding out due to inoperative IAC or its ancillary place equipment.
Does the engine fast idle when cold?
Does the rpm remain the same when A/C or Defrost is selected?
Does the rpm remain the same when a gear is selected?
Same with headlights turned on.

If the IAC isn't working, or its ports in the plate are carboned up, the engine will run rich. The Idle Air Control is a controlled vacuum leak on this is how engine idle rpm is set. The engine must fast idle. If it doesn't, remove a spark plug and check for wet electrodes.

Don't be afraid to hold throttle plates open when starting, same method used in starting a flooded carbureted engine can be applied to a flooded EFI engine.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 06, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

The IAC has already been changed. We will have to test the fuel pressure next time we are out. Initially the only code that was set was O2 sensor but that is most likely because of how it is running. We are going to take another look at the EGR valve. It will run longer each time you start it pretty much as it warms up. The idle is high and seems normal except maybe for a slight mis. When warmed up after starting many times the idle is eratic and it surges. It starts almost exactly the same way each time 2 or 3 cranks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 07, 06:56 PM

pour gas in carb and see if it runs as long as u pour gas in
yea its dangerous but that will seperate spark from fuel problems
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 07, 04:24 AM

no carb on that car, dano...change the fuel filter...could be that there isnt enough volume getting through the filter to support the engine...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 07, 10:07 PM

okay pour gas in the throttle body
sorry for the mistake
guess im showin my age
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode