Oil Pressure and heating - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 06, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Oil Pressure and heating

1- My 94 camaro v6 3.4 has something wierd going on, when the car is parked or just stoped the oil gauge goes really low almost into the red zone but the oil in the engine is full. low oil does not go on.

2-The gauge for the heating goes up when the car is stopped or parked and goes back to normal when it is moving what is going on.

Please let me know, [email protected] if any one could call that would be great 209 585 7171
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 06, 12:06 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Oil Pressure and heating

It is pretty much normal for the oil pressure to drop down as the engine temperature goes up. The oil viscosity thins as it warms causing the oil pressure to drop especially at idle. You are okay as long as the gauge doesn't go into the red. Which viscosity oil are you using? If you want to boost your oil pressure, try using a thicker motor oil to boost the oil pressure. As far as the temp gauge goes, it is normal for the temp to rise when the car is stopped and drops as you move because of the movement of air through the radiator. When you are stopped and the engine is at idle, the temp gauge will rise about 3/4's of the way and then drop to about 1/2 way because the electric fan will kick in and cool down the engine temp. This is normal.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

Last edited by Camaro Dave; May 4th, 06 at 12:03 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 06, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Anything over 10 lb is fine at idle
Then approx 10lb per 1000rpm going up to 55 to 75 lbs.
Anything significantly lower than this indicates worn bearings and such, or an oil change is way over due.
Use the correct grade for your weather conditions.
Bumping up viscosity to get pressure simply hides something that is wrong..and when it comes to oil...both pressure AND volume are critical.
A high volume low pressure and engine can surive, even 5 lb at idle is ok.
but high pressure, no volume engine will die.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 06, 06:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

if your car has an engine driven clutch fan, check it. With the motor good and hot (but the engine off) it should be pretty hard to force to trun by hand. With everything stone cold it should be easy.

If the fans are electric make sure they work, and work right. One of the pair, or a single, will go on when you turn on the A/C.

oil pressure is normal.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 06, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
if your car has an engine driven clutch fan, check it. With the motor good and hot (but the engine off) it should be pretty hard to force to trun by hand
Ever since I have had my chev with a clutch fan, the orginal got sloppy, replaced, this last one sloppy but the engine was reved the hell out of a killed those bearings. I havew often checked the fan clutch and never seen them hard to turn...a little drag is about it.
I have wonders about holding on to it when then start the engine ...but neber been game to...
So as it if testing a clutch fan under these conditions I have my doubts

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode