Runs with key off! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 06, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Unhappy Runs with key off!

I finished swapping my Edelbrock carb for a Holley tonight. At least in the garage it runs a ton better. Better idle and a whole bunch more throttle response. After spending quite a bit of time setting the idle mixture I was satisfied that every thing was perfect, so I shut it off....sort of.... The motor just keeps on running, it does run at a lower idle, but not much. The GEN light comes on and the tach goes to zero but it is still running! It has never done this before. To kill it I went to put it in gear and load the clutch, but as soon as the back up lights came on it died. I started it back up and had the same problem but this time I turned the head lights on and it died. I have a Unilight distributor and a MSD 6AL box for ignition. The only thing that is different now is the Holley does not have an electric choke so the wires are not connected to anything. Is the MSD keeping it alive? Why would the electric choke make a difference?

ERIC
67 Convertible, 350CID, TKO600RR, 3.73 Eaton Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 06, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech
Alex Folino

Send a message via AIM to AlexFolino
Re: Runs with key off!

You have a short somewhere or wired it incorrectly is my guess? Look over your wiring again. Ive heard of this happening with my uncles 68 camaro when he did a carb swap.

GM service technician.

25 years old. I only drive chevys. Everything else and i do mean everything can rust in piece.

68 owner-The only way to go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Camaro: A small vicious animal that eats mustangs.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 06, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech

Where was the choke wire connected to? Is it still connected? Is it connected to the positive side of the coil? I'm not sure on this, but is it possible that the wire for the choke hooked to the coil is causing the problem? The only other possibility is the ignition switch is faulty.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 06, 12:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

If your throttle is set to high it can diesel with the ignition off. Try lowering the idle.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 06, 04:08 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I agree with Farm Boy. I had the same condition with my 69.

Schoon
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 06, 04:15 AM
Banned
Rob

How long have you had the 6AL? Do you have the resistor installed? My car did the same thing after I performed an upgraded to my ignition system.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 06, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

It is not dieseling, it is RUNNING! The wire to the choke was hooked up on Edelbrock carb but now it is just laying there. I have not changed any wiring, just dissconnected the choke wire. The MSD has allways been there and has never had a problem before. The only clue I have is if you turn on anything electrical the motor shuts off just like you turned the key off. In other words it does not sputter and stall, it shuts off clean.

ERIC
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 06, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Are you guys all stumped?

ERIC
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 06, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech

Are all wires to the ignition switch original and not spliced? If everything is the same, it might be that your ignition switch is bad.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 06, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Smile Re: Runs with key off!

I think I may have it figured out. The backwards flow of current through the GEN light into the ignition switch is just enough to keep the MSD box turned on. Since the ignition system get its main power from the power leads on the MSD that go directly to the battery, the ignition switch only provides a signal to turn the MSD on. The small amount of current that runs backwards through the dash light when you turn the key off was used up by the electric choke coil. With than wire dissconnected there is enough current left to keep the MSD box on! It's 12:14am right now and I am going to start to install a diode on the dash light wire to prevent the backwards flow but because it is so late and I don't want the neighbors to get mad at me I will have to wait till morning to test everything.

ERIC
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 06, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

OK... I couldn't wait.... I added a diode to the dash light wire and it fixed everything! The next question is does anybody know what size diode I should use. The one I have to test with is pretty small and it got hot quickly!

ERIC
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 06, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I was going to suggest that because this happened to a friends car. He had to change the diod a couple of times because there are several of those also. make sure you have the right one installed.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 06, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

As per a suggestion on chevytalk.com, I went with a Radio Shack 1N5402 to cure a run-on problem in my 55 Bel-Air. In may case, I needed a diode spliced into the exciter wire to my alternator. So far, I have run wit it for about 6 weeks with no apparent problem...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 06, 01:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Diode usually comes with the new msd installation but you can beat the path to Radio shack too.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode