heat - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

heat

hello I am working on a 1968 camaro just overhauld the 327 board 30 over double hump heads with 194 vavles with a cranecam .467/.494 not real big also car has AC my problem is car runs at 195 temp that is; at stop but with AC on car runs at 230 also had radiator cleaned new waterpump has a 195 thermostat the clutchfan seems to be fine.ANY HELP WOULD SO GREATFULL. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Re: heat

I would go back to a 180* thermostat just to allow the coolant to begin circulating and disappating heat sooner... Also, are you running a shroud ... If not, it would help because it focuses the air flow through radiator better. The number of cores on your radiator may be a problem because of less cooling surface on smaller radiators. Also, check your timing.. If you timing is somewhat retarded, it can make the car run hotter... BTW, do you have a fast idle solenoid to bump the idle when AC is on ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 06, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

the car does have a shroud.but it does not have a fast idle solenoid can i install one on the carb it is a holley 600 cfm thank you for the help also can you tell me what a ambient switch is and if i can test it as far as i know it is located on the rh side of the evaporator box? THANKS

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 10th, 06, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

as far as the fast idle is concerned, check the holley catalog ...they do offer a solenoid and a bracket ...

I don't speak AC specifically, but I think that an ambient switch will not allow compressor to run if ambient temparture is too cold

Has anyone check your condensor? Make sure that it is clean and that you are getting good air flow through it ...

Once again, make sure timing is not retarded and make sure carb is not too lean .... And I would still ditch the 195 thermostat in favor of 180. The thermostat doesn't enforce a max upper temperature, but it does determine how soon coolant circulation begin. It may slow the temperature climb enough that you don't climb as high at stop signs...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 10th, 06, 08:02 AM
Retired
Jim

I run a 180 Tstat and my temp guage sits around 180 - 190 at idle and a little less at highway speeds. I jerry rigged an idle stop solenoid onto my Qjet as I cant find the bracket but Holley does make one Ive seen in catalogs for their carb. or you can jerry rig your own. I got my solenoid at salavage yard off 80's vintage chev. carb and bolted it near the throttle area and then adjusted the 'throw' on the adjust. stem. Works like a champ kicks my idle up about 200 rpm at stop signs.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode