Runs bad in the rain - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Runs bad in the rain

I hope I am posting this in the right area,if not I apologize I am new to the computer. I am having problems with my 1997 camaro it is a V6. The car is running rough in the rain. I had a coilpack replaced last time this happened. I see water dripping onto the coilpack from the hood. I don't know what to do or if it it the coilpack again,the check engine light is also on. I put a blanket over the hood and let it dry out for awhile then went to start the car and it sounded alot better. Any advice about this or what it could be? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 11:34 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: Runs bad in the rain

Fix the water leak into the engine compartment.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Seems it only does this in the rain. Any advice on what to use to seal it up?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 11:53 AM
Team Member
Christropher

It depends on where it is leaking. Can you take a picture of where it's leaking and post it on the site? See my signature on how to post pics.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Don't have a cam at the time Its on the drivers side where the vent is there is a bolt that is letting the water leak through. Oi I sound like an idiot!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech

Is the bolt missing or is the water dripping from the bolt? Can you use some Silicone sealer to seal the leak around the bolt? Sorry, it's hard to make a recommendation without more info.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

The bolt is there but its letting the water leak down on the coil pack. Once I get it all dried out the car runs fine. I will check into the silicone sealer. Thanx
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Also there are no cracks on the pack
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I suspect poor sealing of electics, HT leads or faulty leads.
A engine should be able to be heavly hosed down, and started /run without any problems. If the is it means 1 of 2 things
1/poor electrics (above)
2/Sprayed the dizzy to hard and got water inside (normal) blow off the inside with an air gun.

Lets say u have a faulty/abused HT lead with a higher resistance than normal.
Even a good boot will 'leak' as the current will then flow the easest path. Or u may get cross fire between leads.

At night time when the car is playing up, open the hood, u will see where the arcing is....do not confuse the slight glow with arcing.

The wrong size HT leads installed could be a problem also...a std HEI will blow visible holes in std points leads under normal conditions.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 02:10 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Spray it down with WD40 when you expect rain, not a fix but may help ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

OI have bever been a fan of D40 type ptoducts unless in a emergency.
The reason is that it colects dust and other stuff, which then cause a further problem down the line.
As System in good condition doesnt need these products

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 06, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested by Steptoe, plug wires do age and become leaky conductors and arc to the outside. Especially if the spark plugs are worn or the wrong type of plug for the engine, ie, straight conductor vs. resistive type.

You might observe the engine running at night to look for arcs and the source of the problem will be found.

The fix for the leak, without pics its hard to tell as said by Camaro Dave, is to stop the leak. The vent, is it for the heater-A/C? Is it the vent in the hood?
One easy temporary fix is to run strips of duct tape over the affected coil pak to guide water away from the coilpak.

Or, strap an umbrella to the hood, or as you did, give the car a cape with a big yellow "S"..........Supercar! Able to accelerate faster than a speeding bullet, more power than a Hemi, and so mild mannered, gets 25 mpg.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 06, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested by Steptoe, plug wires do age and become leaky conductors and arc to the outside. Especially if the spark plugs are worn or the wrong type of plug for the engine, ie, straight conductor vs. resistive type.

You might observe the engine running at night to look for arcs and the source of the problem will be found.

The fix for the leak, without pics its hard to tell as said by Camaro Dave, is to stop the leak. The vent, is it for the heater-A/C? Is it the vent in the hood?
One easy temporary fix is to run strips of duct tape over the affected coil pak to guide water away from the coilpak.

Or, as you did, give the car a blue cape with a big yellow background and a red "S"..........Supercar! Able to accelerate faster than a speeding bullet, more power than a Hemi, and so mild mannered, gets 25 mpg.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 06, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Its the vent on the hood. Someone advised me to replace the weather stripping. Hmm duct tape,didn't think about that.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 06, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
As suggested by Steptoe, plug wires do age
No...a good set of HT leads and boots will last 15 to 20 yrs...."abuse" by pulling off by the wire is what kills them.
Soln is not to redirect water but to have good electrics...
Consider this
Rods with open engines on runs in bad weather dont have problems
Off roaders that go thru deep steams, dont have problems.
Engines that are hosed down dont have problems.
If your seals are not good also replace them, but it doesnt fix the source of the problem if electics are in not top condition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode