carb backfiring - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

carb backfiring

i will try to cover all the info i hope you will need for this problem. 69 302 completely rebuilt engine and carb. lt1 cam. msd ready to run dist with coil. at the initial hit of the gas" just taking off normally" it sometimes pops back through the carb and on one occasion the car shut off and quickly refired. it doesn't do it all the time but obviously once is enough. i don't have the specs on the timing degress and the jets are 1 or 2 sizes up from stock. 12 volts to the coil. after the initial take off the car is perfect. i'm thinking the advance is not coming on when it should. thank you for your help. if you need more info i will get it for you.
barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 12th, 06, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: carb backfiring

Need more advanced timing. Initial has been around 8*-14* BTDC. I know, book reads 9*, but this setting is for emissions purposes.

However, you don't want so much initial the engine kicks back against the starter when hot.

I would also lower the front throttle plates to give a square, 0.020" size to use the idle mixture circuits. To increase curb idle, add more air, open the secondaries using the setscrew on the pass side of the throttle plate. Remove the setscrew from the bottom and put the slot on top to adjust without taking the carb off to adjust.

With a bone-stock OE LT1 cam, I don't think this will be much of an issue.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Re: carb backfiring

thank you.i will get on it and let you know.
barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode