backfire - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 11th, 06, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rex

backfire

My 69 is acting funny lately. It has started to backfire through the exhaust. I have a 383. Initial timing is at 6 degrees with the vacuum advance unhooked I am at 25..I hook up the vacuum advance it goes to 45!! This has just started. I also seem to have a real weak spark (Complete msd ignition. The coil is a blaster 2). Also..the car seems to be shocking me when I get out?? I am thinking a bad ground for the shocking me and maybe a bad coil starting to develop, but why would the vacuum advance change so much? The backfire out of the exhaust? What could cause this? The car has also giving me trouble before not wanting to start...usually at a inopertune time and there would be no spark, but It would be ok after awhile. Do I need to buy a new coil and change the advance springs inside my distributor?

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 13th, 06, 01:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: backfire

Hook up a vac gauge to the port you have the line connected to or see if its constant from that port. If it is, its hooked to the wrong port on the carb, so try another port. Put a ground strap from the battery to the frnder bolt and one from the engine to a motor mount bolt or in that area. Clean all ground connections. Without a good ground, the ignition coil isn't going to get full time current needed to give 6-8 volts. Intermittent ground will cause your many problems.
Kev

Last edited by SixtyAte; May 13th, 06 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode