odometer freaked out - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 06, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy odometer freaked out

My odometer read 50,004 Friday afternoon. We then drove 140 miles round trip to a poker run and now it reads 61,144. It looks like when it went by the 100's it flipped all the numbers in front of it. The car is original low mile car that just gained 11,000 miles in one nights cruise. Anyone know how to fix this and return it to correct mileage?

'69 RS/SS X-22 M21 Lemans Blue #'s matching. '99 HD Night Train
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 06, 09:48 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: odometer freaked out

Probably the plastic pieces that seperate the numbers on the odometer and align the whole assembly got so brittle they broke up allowing the numbers to go crazy. Ive seen it before on cars from hot dry climates where everything bakes, including plastic. Only cure is to replace the odometer part in the speedo. It's easy, just time consuming.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 06, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech

You would have to take the speedometer out to access the gears for the odometer. I do not recommend this unless you know what you are doing. There are many delicate components, gears etc., that can easily get damaged. Take it to a place that repairs speedometers. They'll have the correct tools for the job.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 03:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I am an auto theft investigaitor and advise that you do not tamper with the odometer ! You need to document the actual mileage by the state inspection records of the vehicle and then make up paperwork stating what happened date, time, before and current mileage on that day/trip ,with the photos of the current problem/mileage. This will protect and document actual mileage without any
" tampering " involved.
Kev
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sixty ate, We dont have state vehicle inspections in montana. I was worrying about the tampering thing also. The only proof of mileage before and after is me. I might be able to get the Sheriff's Department to document something for later. All I know is that my little 140 miles cruise could cost me in the value of the car if I ever sell. Any more ideas? Lloyd

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 02:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

BigSky...
You must have something to atleast get you close to the actual mileage. A oil change receipt, a repair receipt, a insurance policy , anything that should help with the actual mileage.
Kev
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech
Donald

All very interesting. I have a similar story only the opposite happened to me. This past winter, my very original SS was showing all but 76,000 on the odometer. The center clock was not working and I finally decided to replace it with a new / rebuilt quartz unit. I took the dash apart, including removing the speedo cable from the back of the housing. I then sat the dash aside while I did some more housekeeping chores behind the dash. Anyway, after putting in the new clock and getting the dash back together, I take it out for a test run. I happened to glance down at the odometer, it now reads 40K and some change. I honestly did nothing to tamper with the reading.
My problem is, do I just live with it and get the next 36,000 miles "for free" or do I take it to a speedo shop and ask them to change it? I have a reciept from an inspection last year that documents the miles. I do not plan on selling the car anytime soon, it is just something that bugs me. I can share your pain.

Donald
'69 SS396, X22, 50/50, 729
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 05:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Donald,
I would document what you know and then state that the "Actual Mileage " is 36,000 miles more than what is shown on the odometer due to a malfuntion in the unit after repair to the dash cluster. The DMV should have a form to help with this if you decide to sell the car. I think this is the best thing to do.

Kev
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Guys...... It's like this. If you are honest and repair it yourself it doesn't matter if you document the odometer readings or not.

If you are dishonest and flip it you wont tell anyone anyway. Either way it comes out the same.

Every time you work on your car you dont need permission from the great car gods.

Like they say in the military, Dont ask, Dont tell.

p.s. Repairing isnt tampering..........

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sixtyate, I do all of the work on the car so there are no recipts to show mileage. I'll just get it fixed and returned to as close as possible.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 06, 10:47 PM
Senior Tech

If you were rolling back the odometer to deceive someone by purposely telling them that there are less miles on the car then there really are.....that's against the law. If there is a malfunction in the odometer miles, then you can correct the problem without having to tell the DMV or any other agency. It only applies to deception. What if you were to replace the speedometer? Do you have to okay that with the DMV? If you really wanted to deceive someone into thinking there are less miles on the car then there really are, then there are many ways of doing it...ie disconnecting the speedo cable, switching speedometers, or rolling it back yourself.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 06, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Federal law requires that the mileage of a motor vehicle be stated upon transfer of ownership. Failure to disclose the mileage or providing a false statement may result in fines and/or imprisonment.

The Seller states that the odometer reading of the Vehicle is 00,000.0 miles. The Seller certifies that to the best of the Seller's knowledge, this reading is inaccurate.
WARNING - ODOMETER DISCREPANCY.

Further, the Seller certifies that the Vehicle's odometer was altered for repair or replacement purposes while in the Seller's possession, and that the mileage registered on the repaired or replacement odometer was identical to the mileage shown on the replaced odometer prior to the repair or replacement.

The Buyer acknowledges the above odometer statements:

__________________________________________________ ______
Signature - __________________________________________________ _
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 06, 03:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Just trying to help but....do what you have to do. The form above may help those who need it.

Kev
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 06, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

For those who have not read the federal "odometer statement law" for themselves and believe they may become criminals, here is a pertinent excerpt.

Sec. 580.17 Exemptions. Notwithstanding the requirements of Secs. 580.5 and 580.7: (a) A transferor or a lessee of any of the following motor vehicles need not disclose the vehicle's odometer mileage: (1) A vehicle having a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, as defined in Sec. 571.3 of this title, of more than 16,000 pounds; (2) A vehicle that is not self-propelled; (3) A vehicle that was manufactured in a model year beginning at least ten years before January 1 of the calendar year in which the transfer occurs; or Example to paragraph (a)(3): For vehicle transfers occurring during calendar year 1998, model year 1988 or older vehicles are exempt. (4) A vehicle sold directly by the manufacturer to any agency of the United States in conformity with contractual specifications. (b) A transferor of a new vehicle prior to its first transfer for purposes other than resale need not disclose the vehicle's odometer mileage. (c) A lessor of any of the vehicles listed in paragraph (a) of this section need not notify the lessee of any of these vehicles of .................. and on and on.

It is however unlawful (fraud) to certify mileage as correct when it is not, even if an odometer statement is not required.

Bottom line, a 1969 Camaro is exempt from the odometer statement requirement, in fact, vehicles older than 1996 are exempt. You are not required to complete an odometer statement, and I would suggest you do not volunteer to give one either.

I'm not a lawyer so don't expect me to represent you in court, but I have been a licensed car dealer and state licensed inspector and keep informed of changes in this area. It is an interesting subject, but you should read the Federal Law with your own eyes.

Jon N

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 06, 03:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

>>>>It is however unlawful (fraud) to certify mileage as correct when it is not, even if an odometer statement is not required.
<<<
A odometer statement is not required however it helps if you want to document the actual mileage. Do whatever "YOU" feel is right and worry about it later seem's to be the way here. Sad....
Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode