What Happened? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down What Happened?

I took my car (91 Camaro RS) in a week ago to have a defective (purchased 2 months ago) starter replaced. When I left, and got on my way to work, I noticed my power door locks wouldn't work...and since then, I've also noticed the horn, trunk popper, headlights and parking lights aren't working. What could have happened when they were replacing the starter?
I am taking it back in on Wednesday to have them look at it....I'd like to have an idea of the problem before I go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 08:06 AM

Re: What Happened?

I was going to suggest a fuse, but if the healights are out it soundls like they forgot to connect a wire somewhere. It is kind of strange that the locks aren't working, but the dash and radio are. (I'm assuming you use the radio and would notice if the gauges were dead.)
I'm guessing a ground wire was disconnected, since most of the non-functioning items get power from the fusebox (headlights have a circuit breaker somewhere), but you don't list other things as being out that also get power from the fusebox.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Yeah....my radio still works, and my turn signals & brake lights too. The gauges still work. I'm assuming it's something they did or didn't do....too much of a coincidence. My X husband checked the fuses, and none were blown. I'm a little ticked off about it...I just had $1,700 worth of work done on it....and it's like new now....except for this little problem!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Headlights and parking lights are not fed thru any fuses. There is a fusable link between the battery and the ignition switch. Theres a red and black wire that comes off the battery positive terminal and goes to a terminal block. There are a couple of other wires that also come off the battery that go to terminal blocks inside a plastic box. The one you want has a red and black wire in, and then a fusable link and a red wire to the interior of the car.

Door locks come off a 20 amp fuse in the fuse panel labeled ACC and the 25 amp fues labeled WPR. The wpr circuit feeds the door lock relay motor.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801eef19.jsp

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech

I think Mark is right.....check the fusible link towards the battery. They might of arced something when they disconnected the battery to work on the starter. All those accessories are always "Hot" since you do not need to have the ignition on for them to work. The fusible link is what ties them together.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dave
I think Mark is right.....check the fusible link towards the battery. They might of arced something when they disconnected the battery to work on the starter. All those accessories are always "Hot" since you do not need to have the ignition on for them to work. The fusible link is what ties them together.
I hope that's it....the problem is, when I called to tell them what was going on....the manager acted like there was no way there could be these problems from changing the starter! This is a very reputable chain shop....but now I don't trust them. This is why I wanted the info...so I'll have a little knowledge, and won't get screwed over. Thanks guys....I'll let you know what happens!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode