Petronix points to electronic conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Petronix points to electronic conversion

Hey everyone,
I have a bit of a problem. I have just installed a Petronix points to electronic conversion into my distributor. I followed the directions but now the motor just cranks, but will not start. I think the issue is that I have a bad connection on the positive wire to the balast resistor, but I am not sure how to get the ignition wire and the petronix wire hooked to the balast resistor. Is it better to wire them together onto the resistor or splice one into the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 05:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Petronix points to electronic conversion

I've never done a pertronix, but might be able to help some.

First, the stock fabric covered ignition wire in a Camaro IS a ballast resister.
If it's still there, you don't ever need or want two of them, one or the other up to you.
The instructions do call for a ballast resister? Most electronic ignitions do not. Some require a ballast or resister wire into the coil, but full 12 volts into the module.

If the last case is what you need, you need to remove the stock fabric covered wire, cut it 3-6" from the firewall and run it to one side of the ballast. Run the wire from the pertronix module to the same side of the ballast.
Then run a wire from the other side of the ballast to the coil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 06:37 PM
Team Member
John

The Pertronix module wants a full 12 volts to operate properly, and '68 Camaros didn't have ballast resistors; as Jim said, the cloth-covered wire is a resistance wire (does the same thing as the earlier-60's ballast resistors), and you still need that wire for the coil (+).

JohnZ
CRG

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 06, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech

As stated, get rid of the ballast resistor and hook your resistor wire directly to the positive side of the coil. Make sure that the distributor wire is hooked to the negative side of the coil. With both wires hooked up, disconnect the coil wire and put it near a ground. Have someone crank over the engine and check to see if you get a good spark. If not, double check all your wiring.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 06, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Ok guys I am a bit confused.

Here is what I am looking at: Coil is hooked up to 12 volts, red wire from the coil to the balast resistor, wire from ignition and wire from petronix spliced together and connected to other side of balast resistor. Black wire from petronix spliced together with tach wire and hooked to black side of coil. From what I understand, I shoiuld be hooking the red wire from my petronix to the 12 v wire going into my coil (or another 12 v source)?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is round 2 with this conversion after blowing up a crane cams XR-1 unit (I am still learning!!!).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 06, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech

You need to hook up the 12 volt wire directly to the positive side of the coil and bypass the ballast resistor. You no longer need the ballast resistor, since you took out the points in the distributor.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 06, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I will give it a shot tonight. I will keep my fingers crossed that I do not blow the unit up a again. I will let everyone know tonight how it turned out. Thanks for the help.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 06, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Good news. Rewired the connections and she fired right up. Now I just need to adjust the timing. Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 06, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech

Good deal

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 06, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I am still working on this issue. I got the car to fire up and run, but when I took it down the street it stumbled real bad when shifting into second and then died. Is this a timing issue? Do I need to adjust the timing when going from points to an electronic? It may seem like a dumb question, but I am a rookie here and need some help before I start taking things apart.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 06, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech

Set your timing and also check to see if you are getting vacuum to the vacuum advance on the distributor. Also check for a vacuum leak on your intake manifold and carb.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode