Door Stuck shut - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Angry Door Stuck shut

OK boys and girls,

You'll enjoy this one...I'm in the final stages of finshing the car, getting all the little detail pieces together, when I shut the door half heartedly and it didn't close all the way. So I gave it the traditional "hip check" and the door closed completely. Went to open it again and nothing, nadda. Acts like it's locked but it isn't (although the lock mechanism doesnt move up or down very much, but at this point I can't remember how much it went up and down before). So I decided to look at the other side to see how it functions (Interior not in yet so I have full access to the door) well in the process it closed half way as well, I couldn't open it so the only thing to do was close it all the way to get it to open (i've done this a hundred times on other cars), so again with the hp check, and now this one won't open either So in a fit of fury, I took out the door lock thinking that maybe this would solve the problem, but NOPE! So now I have both doors stuck, one with the lock cylinder out and one with it in, and I'm at a loss.

Any thoughts on what to do next....come on guys, you've bailed me out for years with really hard problems, this one should be a piece of cake, right?

1968 Camaro Coupe 327 worked over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 12:18 PM

Re: Door Stuck shut

Ok, first let me say that I'm no mechanic but I have had my passenger door have this problem now 2 times. One of the mounting screws for the striker plate that the door latches to works itself loose. Vibration works it out and there isn't much clearance. This actially wedges the door shut but not completely shut. I had to take a crowbar and take some of the weight off the striker end of the door and it slid right open. I have no idea if the plate assembly would be the same type in your car so best to err on the side of safety and see if you can use a pen light to look to see if it's hitting just above or below the latch.

Hope it helps, Good luck

Kirgan
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

OK...before I do something drastic, decided to leave the car for the night, maybe a few days before tackling this again. What I have learned is why I "think" the doors got stuck in the first place. As I said I was starting to install all of the final pieces before upholstry and I installed the "rubber door mounts" (both top and bottom). Well I guess they weren't in to well, and when the door didn't close all the way and I gave it the "Hip Check" it appears to have fallen off and gotten wedged in around the bottom of the door...on both sides, what are the @#[email protected]#$% odds

Well on the drivers side, I was able to slide a tiny screwdriver in their and push it down to the bottom of the door without much issue, but the door, lock, handle still won't open the door. The other side, I have started to scratch the edges trying to move the stuck the piece and that's why I'm in here now rather than out there, since the car was just painted

Now the question is I "think" I know why the door was stuck, but why can't I open the one? I've pushed, shoved, bruised my hip on the door trying to get the latch to fully engage but nothing.

Also I noticed what appears the be a Torx bolt in the door lock, would removing this bolt do anything for me?

As well, inside the rear window I've been feeling around and there is some sort of a plastic plate, what's behind that plate? Is it possible to undo the striker with the door in place from inside the rear window compartment?

Thanks again, time to go drink and put away the tools under lock and key!

P.S. And for the record, I've read just about everything on here that a search will return and yet still can't get this opened. What might help is some pics of the pawl and how it works (ie locked vs unlocked)

Last edited by Omnipotent; Jun 7th, 06 at 07:45 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 09:28 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

pull up and down on the door lock a number of times (10 times or 50 times) and try to open the door. If this works there is bad spring in your door latch mechansim that needs to changed. My 67 has this problem.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Send a message via AIM to smith69z

I had the same thing happen to me but only 1 door. It seemed my latch adjustment was off. I spent hrs playing with the lock, etc....
Called in support from kevinW and he suggested I give the door a BIG kick from the inside. I used both feet and gave the door a good shot. It popped open and yes my striker was adjusted to close in and was holding the door latch from sliding up to open the door. This might be the same situation on yours. Try to find a way to use a flat bar to pry it open. Tough from the outside :-(

69 Fathom Green RS/Z-Endura bumper - Never finished but finally certified.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Oh I can get inside, although it's like Bo and Luke Duke Last night I gave it a bunch of kicks, body slams (shoulders are all bruised up this morning) to no avail. I should point out that until this event both doors have worked flawlessly over the 5 years I've owned the car, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the spring thing. Especially since I duplicated the problem 5 minutes later on the other side.

Anyway, if there are anymore suggestions please let me have them as I am running out of ideas, although it's nothing a Sawzall and $ can't fix but we'd all rather not go down that path.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

May sound silly, but do you have the car up on a jack or jack stands right now? I had the same problem with one of my doors while I was rebuilding the subframe. I closed the passenger door (lightly) and couldn't get the flipping thing back open. I gave up after numerous attempts and simply went back to working on the front suspension thinking that I would deal with the door later after my "cool down" period.

After I dropped the car back on the tires, I just happened to walk by the door and give it a slight tug and it opened effortlessly.

Just a thought...
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Thanks for the suggestion but it's on the floor already. Can't believe this is happening now, was just about ready to finish it up to enjoy the rest of summer and now this. If' it's not one thing it's another!

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

If they have worked for years, i vote for the spring. Does you door lock (the part you push down or pull up) look like it not all the way up. This is the part I was talking about pushing and pulling on. If it's not in the normal all up postion I can almost say with out a dought it's the spring.

One other thing you can try is spraying lube into the latch. I would use the white grease as you don't want WD40 on your paint. Stick the tube into the door jamb and spray away, then take a long screw driver and knock on the latch to try and get it to rotate fully. If the latch is not lubed or the lube is old and dirty the latch will stick and not fully rotate open or closed, it's usally the closed postion that messes up, there is not enough pressure put on it by the opening spring and push rod to get it to rotate to open the door. If you got to repeat on the other door this might be your problem. After you get them open. Take off the door panels, remove the latch assy. Spray them out with brake cleaner and clean them up real good, then give them a good hosing down inside with the spray white grease and then get the latch area that goes on the striker lubed up also. Also take a look at the moving parts and clean up any burs on the metal and plastic that keeps thing from moving freely.

All this comes from having these problems and dealing with them personally on my 67, 68 Camaros and my 69 Chevelle. This will be one of the most challanging things you try to work on. I finally removed the drivers seat got inside the Camaro used a large snap on pry bar lots of rags and pulled the door opening lever while prying and hitting the door with my shoulder. Whne it opened up I almost fell out of the car, and I think my shoulder still hurts!!!

Good luck and just walk away from it if your flustered, you will get it open
in time and an ice pack.

My old post, it might help out some?? https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ght=door+stuck

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

OK, well this is what you see when looking in the rear window compartment

What I want to know is what does that black plastic peice do, and will removal of this help in anyway to get the striker off?
What about the metal piece below it? It has threads on it and appears that something is screwed in? Is this the actual striker?

Here is a pic from inside the door looking at the door lock.

What I would like to know, is what the "star" (black thing" nut does? Does taking this off help in anyway to get the door unlocked?

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison
If they have worked for years, i vote for the spring. Does you door lock (the part you push down or pull up) look like it not all the way up. This is the part I was talking about pushing and pulling on. If it's not in the normal all up postion I can almost say with out a dought it's the spring.

One other thing you can try is spraying lube into the latch. I would use the white grease as you don't want WD40 on your paint. Stick the tube into the door jamb and spray away, then take a long screw driver and knock on the latch to try and get it to rotate fully. If the latch is not lubed or the lube is old and dirty the latch will stick and not fully rotate open or closed, it's usally the closed postion that messes up, there is not enough pressure put on it by the opening spring and push rod to get it to rotate to open the door. If you got to repeat on the other door this might be your problem. After you get them open. Take off the door panels, remove the latch assy. Spray them out with brake cleaner and clean them up real good, then give them a good hosing down inside with the spray white grease and then get the latch area that goes on the striker lubed up also. Also take a look at the moving parts and clean up any burs on the metal and plastic that keeps thing from moving freely.

All this comes from having these problems and dealing with them personally on my 67, 68 Camaros and my 69 Chevelle. This will be one of the most challanging things you try to work on. I finally removed the drivers seat got inside the Camaro used a large snap on pry bar lots of rags and pulled the door opening lever while prying and hitting the door with my shoulder. Whne it opened up I almost fell out of the car, and I think my shoulder still hurts!!!

Good luck and just walk away from it if your flustered, you will get it open
in time and an ice pack.

My old post, it might help out some?? https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ght=door+stuck

Joe
Yeah I read that reply, and didn't think it would be the same as mine since it happened to both doors within a matter of minutes, but I'll go try it...what the heck it can't be any worse than what I've been doing with it.

Well I went out and messed with it some more, and the door lock only goes up about 1/4 of an inch, I don't think that is the normal operation...can someone validate this for me.

As for the "spring" is it inside the housing in the pic above? Because the only spring I can physically see is the one that goes assists the push mechanism from the outside door handle.

Thanks

Last edited by Omnipotent; Jun 8th, 06 at 12:58 PM.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Your door latch mechanism looks nasty dirty..........just like mine did. When you do get it open give them a good inspection and cleaning. The parts just are not moving freely.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

black part is the part of the asto ventalation system. The plate under it is the striker. Removing the astro vent door venting will not get you anything.

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 06, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech

Dude I had the same problem but a little different. First of all my first thought was that I thought you may have had the car on jack stands BUT you clearly stated that this was not the case,

Secondly the picture of the assembly shows it to be a total mess(no offense) It is really really dirty and believe me no matter how many times it worked before, all it takes is one time for it to gum up and shut down on you. Read through my post on my situation, Mine ended up being the push button lever return spring near the top of the push button lever

I have a couple of questions for you. When you push on the OUTSIDE door handle button, does it freely go in and outwith no contact pressure like you are pressing an empty button or does it give you that locked up feeling? If it is an empty no pressure feeling wtih no contact felt then your lever may be STUCK in the back position. You can push it back from the inside(door panel off) and try it then.

ALSO could be that the locking lever(attached to a bar) is stuck in the down position. You should push it all the way up which will put the opposite part that goes to the door lock on the outside of the door in the down position. This will allow you to push the push button lever either forward or backwards and hopefully open the door.

A FISHER body manual helped me immensly with showing the workings of all the bars and levers in there. I have included a link that has a blown up picture of all the parts of the front door lock assembly which hopefully will help you out. Also get in there with some "free" wd 40 or anything else you can spray in there to clean it good enough to get it to work. Then once you get it open, take the whole assembly out and CLEAN AND INSPECT IT THOUROUGHLY!! Its well worth it. GOODLUCK!!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/draggi...e2.jpg&.src=ph

FRONT DOOR LOCK ASSEMBLY PIC!!!

Last edited by mark67ss; Jun 9th, 06 at 10:16 AM. Reason: wrong link
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 06, 10:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

I had this same issue on my 67 drivers side door (Prolly saw my thread when you were researching) I still have not rebuilt the mechanism and I am pretty sure the spring is gone. Once in a while I still get the door stuck and the lock knob will not pull up but I have a fix. I use a slim-jim on the outside by the lock mechanism, just use it like you are trying to break into the car. I push it down in between the window and the window felt forward of the lock knob, then push it towards the back of the car while pulling up. Might take a fews trys but for me it works everytime. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode