MSD distributor install. Do I have to adjust the rotor? Is it possible? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 06, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Question MSD distributor install. Do I have to adjust the rotor? Is it possible?

Ok, so Im giving life to my 94 Z28 I found on Ebay for 1100 dollars. I had the engine rebuilt along with the trans, and am putting all the pieces back together. On my LT1 the Distributor is driven by a shaft that has a flat spot on it. Inside the distributor the rotor is indexed as well so there can be no adjustment there either. However theres an allen bolt beyond the rotor that looks like it could be pulled loose maybe adjusting the rotor location. BUT, the directions say nothing about doing that. I really dont want to loosen that and screw something up. Ive called MSD and they said to get the #1 cyl in TDC position on the compression stroke-done-and make sure the rotor is lined up with the terminal on the cap that says #1. Well thats just great. On the dist. cap four terminals are packed together on each side, and inside the cap eight terminals are nicely spaced in a circle. Besides not knowing what terminal is #1 on the inside, when, or if I need to adjust the rotor how the hell should I do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 06, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: MSD distributor install. Do I have to adjust the rotor? Is it possible?

Use a multi meter or test light between terminals to find which is which
Most dizzy main housings have a mark on the base where #1 lines up...this normally faces directly to the front of the engine.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode