oil coming from? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 06, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

oil coming from?

first post here, great info as I search.

I need some help with a 68 that has a 396. Recently replaced the intake manifold and the carb. I am having a problem with the motor smoking under acceleration. Especially when I pull out from a stop sign.

I searched here and thought maybe my issue was the intake manifold gasket. So I dis-assembled to look for the cause, and I do not see any apparent issues with the gasket.

However I noticed in the heads that there is oil puddled up on the backside of the valves. Would this indicate bad valve seals or guides or?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 06, 05:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: oil coming from?

oil puddling on the backs of the intake valves would most often indicate the bottom of the ports are sucking oil out of the valley. Could be bad valve seals... but since the manifold was recently replaced, I think I need to key on that.

Welcome to the best site on the internet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 06, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

That is what I was thinking/hoping as well!

However I could not see any trace or oil paths and the gasket seemed sealed ok. I was thinking there should have been a trace of oil? yes/no? Also the oil was in 4 or 5 of the valves which also led me away from the intake.

This help with the diagnostics?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 06, 07:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

How did the gaskets crush?
Do you have a dial caliper you could measure the thickness after they've been compressed?
Did you have this problem before changing the manifold?
What gaskets are you using, and are you using any type of sealant on them?
Are you using end gaskets and how do they fit? Could they be holding the manifold up slightly and preventing a good seal on the bottom of the ports?
Have your heads ever been milled?
Do the gaskets have the correct port size to match both the head and the manifold ports?

How bout clean everything up good, including the used gaskets, spray some paint on both sides of the gaskets, then bolt it up while the paint's still wet, take it off and see what you see?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 06, 09:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

For what it is worth, mine was guides. I thought it was the intake too.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 06, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
smoking under acceleration. Especially when I pull out from a stop sign.
I go for giudes as well
If u let the engine stand for an hr or so, or over night, have someone check of u get a big puff of smoke on start up.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 06, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

I pulled the heads last night and dropped them off at the machine shop this morning to have the guides/seals checked out. Will report back. Thanks for the replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode