bad engine/ transmissiom?? vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

bad engine/ transmissiom?? vibration

HI guys, my 69camaro, 327cu.in./350 tranny with shiftkit and a 2500 stall convertor has a bad running vibration that just happened yesterday when i floored it and made a wide turn to get away from traffic coming. It seem ed to blog down and vibrate bad, I took to this garage and machanic who works and builds motors took off the valve covers and found no damage. the oil pressure is fine40-45 lbs. He said might be the timing could have jumped? or the harmonic balancer. said will check the converter.. Any ideas off hand???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 06:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: bad engine/ transmissiom?? vibration

Does the vibration happen even when you are sitting still?
Does the frequency of the vibration change with the rpm of the engine?
Does it only happen when you are moving?
If you are rolling along at 60 and slip it into neutral, let it go to idle, does the vibration change or go away?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The vibration happens when it is at ideal, and when you are driving at any speeds, when you rev. it up it does the same. there is no back fire and the tach is steady at the rpms the engine is set at. the mechanic checked all the cycliners and they were ok. no bend push rods nor rockers came lose. said he would ck the converter and the balancer any more thoughts?????

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 07:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Convertor?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 06, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the torque convertor could have a issue and maybe the harmonic balance, since the vibration is at all speeds and at and car standing still.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 06, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin rollin
HI guys, my 69camaro, has a bad running vibration that just happened yesterday when i floored it and made a wide turn to get away from traffic coming. Any ideas off hand???
Important symptom - it just happened, wasn't there before the turn or WOT?
Engine was running fine and had always ran good?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 06, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

NO problem at all before this issue ,it has a shift kit and 2500 stall in it. mechanic said might be in the trans. torque converter causing it to vibrate.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 06, 06:39 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Well, it sounds like the vibration just started, and after you did some WOT running. So I gotta think you damaged something or something just loosened up.

Check obvious stuff, like vacuum hoses. Maybe something in air cleaner is now obstructing carb (if you've got cowl setup, then air cleaner may be hitting). Broken engine mount could have let the engine raise up and bend/break something.

Maybe a plug wire fell off, or a spark plug just went bad, so now you've got one dead cylinder.

I would say, check basic tune-up items first. Then compression check. Then check tranny for loose or cracked flex plate. Also check engine and tranny mounts.

Might have jumped a tooth on the timing chain, assuming it's got a lot of miles on it..............

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 06, 04:36 AM
Senior Tech

Check all your mounts like previously mentioned. The fact that everything was fine UNTIL you took the turn leads me to believe that something either broke free or cracked under the stress of the turn. Motor mounts, tranny mount, even check the bell bolts!! You may have thrown something in the drivetrain out of whack when you took that turn.ALSO, just a wild thought but if you still cant locate it, you may want to pull the tranny and check the flywheel as well. Dont know if you can run the motor with the tranny out but if you can pull the tranny and start the motor you may be able to isolate whether the vibration is coming from the motor or the tranny. Just my two cents.

Mark
TOOFUN
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 06, 05:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

I had a vibration like that in my 69 Camaro and it turned out to be the flex plate. We put a dial micormeter on it, turned the engine over by hand and found that the flex pate was 140 thousandths out which caused it to "wobble" while it was spinning. The vibration was not really noticalbe at idle, but really kicked in around 2000 RPM. You might want to check your flex plate to be sure.

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 06, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I found the problem myself and I drove the car home from the trans shop. the guy took off the fan belt off and the vibration stopped. put it back on and the vibration started again. said was the water pump?. Well as i flipped aorund the fan with the belt off, to my eyes i had only 6 fan blades, not 7. one on the flex fan was gone.as it broke off it took a chung of the shroud with it and bounced off the front cross member. Crazy huh?? going to install a clutch fan with 7 blade fan plus a new GM shroud. thanks guys for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode