Interior Light - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 06, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Lightbulb Interior Light

Hey guys another little problem. My 1968 Camaro SS is living a life of it's own. Several times I came out to start it and the battery is dead. I checked all I thought I could. After leaving for work late one night I noticed under the car cover a dim light. It seems light the passenger door contact is not hitting the door quite right. It does stick in sometimes. I couldn't understand because I always check that the interior light is off. Does anyone know if the contact is adjustable or if I can just cut the wires off and tape them. I really don't need that side and I can't keep jumping the battery. Any ideals? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 05:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Interior Light

Door jab lite switchs should have threads on them, move them in or out to adjust. If there is too much cleanance, then you have to make it work. Ie . you got too much gap. One thing that I have done is put in a battery on/ off knob to turn all off when parked and unattended. This way there is no unexpected fire hazards. Not to mention the dome lamp staying on and melting the dome bezel, wireing and some of the headliner material. The old factory bezels use to take all the heat, these new OEM taiwan issues don't. You can get these batter switches at most parts stores. Got a big green knob on a brass connector.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech

If you decide to cut the wires and tape them, make sure you do a really good job of seperating the two wires and put plenty of tape on them.

Somebody cut and taped the wires that go to the courtesy light in the center console. They did a poor job, which led to the wires making contact with each other and shorting out. This was discovered when I walked into my garage to smell smoke. Fortunately, my car never caught on fire.

Greg

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Thanks, that battery cut off sounds like a good idea. I played with it some more today and the spring came off. If it's not one thing it is another. I can't believe some people have to worry about finisihing their cars, I don't think they are ever really done.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech

The post in the jam could verywell be bad however I had a similar problem and it was just the socket inder the dash was not mounted well and grounded, it would turn the light on from time to time. Any work under the dash those seem to be in the way and get out of place. Do a search that topic has come up alot.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 11:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

In addition to the shut off knob on battery,, i have a small inline mini fuse to keep the juice to electronics and interior lites but if there is a short,,, it will pop the 15 amp fuse..

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 04:41 PM
Team Member
John

Replace the plunger switch - they're cheap. They're also self-adjusting at installation. Disconnect the battery (that switch gets battery power all the time whether the key is on or off), unscrew the switch, disconnect the wire, plug it on the new switch, screw the new switch all the way in, then shut the door (which will adjust the switch - the center tube slides relative to the nut), then connect the battery cable and it should work fine.

JohnZ
CRG
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 06, 10:27 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Interior Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17
In addition to the shut off knob on battery,, i have a small inline mini fuse to keep the juice to electronics and interior lites but if there is a short,,, it will pop the 15 amp fuse..
Damn good idea.

currently restoring my '67, 327, T-10,3.73 10 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode