oil pan gasket - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

oil pan gasket

I had a shop do some work for me. I have no means to lift the engine of this car. Its a 67 with a 454 in it. So when it comes to big things like frame mounts needing done, I have to hire it done.

So that is what I did.

I had the frame mounts changed to BB frame mounts which has made all the difference with the clearance between the power steering box and the headers. I can now get my fingers in between there.
Great work there.
As long as they were going to have this engine up, I thought I'd have them do the oil pan seeings how mine was bent, dented and gouged. It was patched a few times too with epoxy and liquid nails and such.
So I bought a Milodon 7 quart pan and a pickup tube and a nice Fel-pro gasket for the oil pan.
I told them to do that too and I'm happy to pay the shop labor time. I figured, as long as the engine is up in the air.....

Well I got the car home and I was pretty happy at first. Then I saw a little oil. Well I started the car and monitored the oil pressure and watched very carefully. No leaks, no drips. I revved it and idled it and revved it and idled and no problems.
So I took it for a drive. Then I saw oil smoke.
I pulled over and looked and saw oil all over that front cross member that is in front of and just below the dampener.

I know this:
It did not leak at all before the work.
It only leaks when I drive it. I drove slowly and just did some light to light boulevard cruising.
It does NOT leak when idling or revving it sitting still.
I know its not the main seal because it didn't do this BEFORE the work was done.

Where is this oil coming from?

I am so bummed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 06, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech

Smile Re: oil pan gasket

I would take it back to the shop that did the work. Hopefully they warranty thier work. They may not want to since you supplied the gasket but maybe they will at least take a look
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 06, 04:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: oil pan gasket

if its a chrome pan you have to sand off the chrome for a good seal for the gasket.
but I was in the same boat as you last winter and found that the seal between the front timing cover and pan is where the leak is.
best and easiest way to fix is to loosen the pan till the front drops a bit.
then apply some high temp RTV to the front surface of the pan.
(section that meets the timing cover)
retighten oil pan and let the excess squeeze out.
once it starts to set take a blade (razor) and trim excess off.
do the above after draining pan and let sit till the rtv is cured.
front pan seals are a bitch to seal properly and i learned this trick from an engine shop.
you can still do this without lifting the motor.
just gotta get under car to do this.
USE JACK STANDS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: oil pan gasket

Should I use the blue RTV?

Probly have to get that dampener off right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode