help! cant start! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

help! cant start!

had car running fine. shut off yesterday. cant restart. i have spark and the wierd thing is if i dump gas down carb, it still does not start. what else is there to check? suggestions? THANKS in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 10:11 PM
Senior Tech

Re: help! cant start!

Did you move the distributor? The timing might be off.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

That is what I'd look at, if the distributor was moved. The hold down bolt could be loose and it migrated.

Also, check to make sure your starter is turning fast enough to get the engine started. If its cranking too slow, it won't start.

Torque your manifold down to the proper specs. ( on a big block it is 25 pounds ) make sure your carb is tight too. A massive vacuum leak won't help.

Getting back to the electrical, check to make sure your block is grounded well. If its not, the starter may still turn the engine but not well.

Also, make sure you check all or most of your cylinders to see if you're getting spark to them all. Bad wires or distributor can sometimes send spark to just a couple of plugs. This is something that can happen over night. I had a cracked dist cap once. It must of cracked after I shut down for the night. When I attempted to start the next day, no diggety.
I ended up taking it to a garage and they immediately found a bad distributor cap that was cracked all the way through.
Just some suggestions.

Hope it helps, good luck friend.

Mike

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 06, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

didnt touch the distributor. but i guess ill go buy a new cap/rotor just to be safe. new plug wires and did check a couple of cylinders for spark, will try a few more. thanks for suggestions!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 06, 06:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

HEI distributor? If not, maybe the coil took a dump?

==Doug
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 06, 04:13 PM
Team Member

If you have spark, is the timing correct? The distributor may have moved, the rotor may have come loose? the timing chain may have skipped a tooth.
Just some thought starters.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 06, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech

Does it skip like it's trying to start or just turn over without even acting like it wants to start?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 06, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

apparently it must have been a cap problem. i had cheked spark on 2 of the cylinders, and made a bad assumption. anyway, replaced cap + rotor, primed carb and she stared right up. thanks for everyones help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode