Please help Cold start and a Dieseling issue - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Please help Cold start and a Dieseling issue

Please help i dont know where else to go. I am a kustom car builder but have been out of the loop of doing the engines myself for a while and my engine builder and head shop mechanic died 6 months ago in a motorcycle accident with some chic drinking her latte and talking on her cell phone and i can't bring myself to replace his presence in the shop.

So here's the deal. We just put a 383 stroker into the 68 firebird ragtop.
It is a blueprint motor and has MSD billet ready to run distibutor, MSD blaster 2 coil and wires. It has an edlebrock 750 on it and runs 405 hp, The issue is when its cold it really does not want to start. and then any time you shut it off no matter how warm or cold it is it diesels. and to make matters worse some times when you try to start it, it sounds like the starte misses the flywheel all together. I know it needs to be shimmed but not sure how much. when its running it runs great. I just have those 2 issues. It was supposed to be dyno tuned before arriving but who knows how well that was done. Some one told me the dieseling issue could be 2 hot of an idle but i dunno. Please help.

And thanx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Please help Cold start and a Dieseling issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by budga
Please help i dont know where else to go. I am a kustom car builder but have been out of the loop of doing the engines myself for a while and my engine builder and head shop mechanic died 6 months ago in a motorcycle accident with some chic drinking her latte and talking on her cell phone and i can't bring myself to replace his presence in the shop.
Sorry to read about the death. Time will heal, some longer than others.

Quote:
The issue is when its cold it really does not want to start. and then any time you shut it off no matter how warm or cold it is it diesels.
Is the choke closed when cold? It may have to have a manual cable to actuate the choke. Pumping the throttle a couple times, closing the choke plate will help in starting.

As for the dieseling, closing the throttle at idle position will help. It reads like the carb needs some adjustment for the place where its sitting.

Quote:
and to make matters worse some times when you try to start it, it sounds like the starte misses the flywheel all together. I know it needs to be shimmed but not sure how much.
You may have to get a new nose piece for the OE starter from the dealer. But first I'd try to shim the outside bolt if you think/find the starter is barely hitting the ring gear. Shimming the outside bolt turns the starter into the the ring gear. Shimming both bolts will pull the starter away from the ring gear.

Quote:
Please help. And thanx in advance
Your welcome! & Welcome to the Club. Others here may expunge their knowledge and give a hand.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ill check to see if it is closed, i believe the choke is electric,
could it be a throttle position? the carb sits way closer to the firewall than the old motor and the cable has a little bind to it and we have a temp bracket in place

and for thestarter the bolts go straight up into the block and not into the bell housing like im familliar with

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by budga
ill check to see if it is closed, i believe the choke is electric,
could it be a throttle position? the carb sits way closer to the firewall than the old motor and the cable has a little bind to it and we have a temp bracket in place
Make sure the choke is closing completely when cold, as in letting it cool overnight. It may need adjustment to close by loosing the screws about the housing and rotating the cap to close the choke plate.

However, if the engine stumbles and runs irrattic after cold start-up, the choke may need adjustment to open the choke plate alittle to aid in smooth running. One may need an assistant to start and you may need to be ready to adjust when engine starts.

If choke is electric, you will need to hook one side to a good ground. he power source would need to come from a fused IGN source from fusebox, not from the same ignition source for the distributor.

Quote:
and for the starter the bolts go straight up into the block and not into the bell housing like im familliar with
That's correct, this is not a Ford nor Chrysler engine. As I suggested, shim the outer bolt to push starter motor closer to flywheel. Shim both bolts to move starter motor away from flywheel.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ok well now it seems that the starter is not engaging the flywheel all the way and what i thought was it spinning free was it hitting the flywheel and then making a whirrrrrrrr sound. I shimmed it with 2 shims but it still is doing it. do i need to shim it more to make it engage all the way, sometimes while cranking the motor turns over and then it stops and gives me the whirrrr sound. It looks like the edge of the teeth on the flywheel are a little worn and i chenked 1 tooth so i should be ok there, my guess is that i need to shim it more to get away from the flyhweel so it will make deeper contact. Does this sound accurate and if so do i have to use that type of shim or can i use a frade 8 washer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode