SOS L82 cam problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 06, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

SOS L82 cam problems

Hi,
I've recently joined the forum and I have a question about a motor I have, I'll give some backround.
The motor is a 73' L82 350 with a M21 4-speed with stock 2.02 heads, stock intake and stock 2.5 inch exhaust.
The motor was recently rebuilt as follows, bored .030, mild intake port work on the heads, CCxe274h cam, decked block to raise the compression to 9.2 to1, full MSD system with a 26 degree bushing and a 3.55 rear diff. I've had a hard time getting the car to run right( hard starting, excessive rich mixture, lack of any real power, eratic idle, general roughness going thru the power band). I had no luck with the Qjet so I put a holley Qjet replacement carb on and it runs best with the idle curcuit closed but still very rich, and a poor idle quality with a pretty constant 13 inches of vacuum, the carb is new.
The cam timing is set in @ 105 1/2. Is the cam too aggressive for the heads, intake and exhaust? Could my tranny not be geared right for that cam?
Any thoughts on my problem would be welcomed. I'm ready to pull the cam but I don't want do it for nothing. thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 06, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: SOS L82 cam problems

I see you have the camshaft advanced from 110*. This isn't going to help idle system much. I would try putting full time vacuum onto the advance to impeove idle quality. Others here run the same cam, hopefully they will give some enlightenment.

Being the mixture screws don't have any effect, tells me the curb idle screw is set too high, but the engine needs more air. You can increase the opening of the secondaries with the screw on the base plate on the passenger side. Remove the screw and install from the top for easier access & adjustment. This way by opening the secondaries, the curb idle screw can come down and bring in the idle system.

When you remove the carb to R&R the sec screw, close the primary plates to give a "square" opening in the transfer slots. This is a start.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 06, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Everett,
I never thought of that, but what did you mean by a square opening in the tranfer slots?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 06, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You have the carb removed and looking up into the forward arc of the throttle plates, you will find a slot.

Adjust the curb idle screw to adjust the height/opening of the primary throttle plates to "make" a square using the bottom and the sides of the slot in the base plate and the bottom edge of each butterfly. This is roughly a 0.020" square.

By making this adjustment, this action will bring into play, the idle circuit.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 06, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Everett,
I get it, I'll try it and report back.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
I squared up the slots, set the idle mx 1 half turn out and brought the idle down by way of the secondary air adjustment, still very rich. I checked the needle/seat. Is their an internal leak I could look for or something else? Thank you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Power valve may be blown. Unscrew it from the metering block and suck on the diaphram side, should not find any leaks there.

Is fuel dribbling from the venturi boosters/ If it is, fuel level is too high.

'
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

I replaced the power valve with a smaller one a while back, I'd be willing to check the float level again but is there any other way fuel could be getting in the system unchecked?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Have you applied full manifold vacuum to the ignition advance?
Where is initial timing at idle?
Have you tried different initial timing settings?

'
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
I have a full MSD system with a billet distributor that does'nt have a vacuum advance with a my initial timing at 8*btdc with a 26* bushing in the dist. for 34* total advance and yes i've tried a lot of different settings for the initial and with varing results in performance, but still rough and rich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode